Talk

Advanced search

What to make for Xmas pressies

(13 Posts)
Bellared Fri 30-Oct-09 22:13:21

I was wondering what to make this year. I have not made gifts before and don't have a sewing machine but like to try and turn my hand to most things. smile

XX

claudialyman Fri 30-Oct-09 22:42:50

might want to look in the credit crunch section, interesting ideas on the homemade pressies thread in there wink

Bellared Sat 31-Oct-09 00:29:22

Thanks claudialyman, I'll go now. grin

tigerbear Sat 31-Oct-09 01:06:49

Hand stitched felt toys for Lo's - take a look on my profile page for some examples of owls, gingerbread man, monkey, etc. Get huge bags of stuffing from John Lewis, and a couple of sheets of colourful felt from your local fabric store, and you'll be able to make loads of very inexpensive little toys.

ja9 Sat 31-Oct-09 03:40:25

i made personalised mirrors for kids last yr. pack of 4 mirror tiles in ikea for £5. you need squeezy lead to draw pictures / names with and a couple of colours of glass paint.

i'm not a great drawer but managed hearts / flowers around trhe edges for the girls, and a rocket / stars for the boys. looked really nice imo and total cost about £2/3 each if you inclue all materials

ja9 Sat 31-Oct-09 03:42:00

mirror tiles were about 30cm x 30cm

Bellared Sat 31-Oct-09 20:31:00

Tigerbear, those toys are very cute!

Ja9, Next time we go to Ikea I'll keep my eye out for them thar tiles.

Any ideas for our parents?

tigerbear Sat 31-Oct-09 21:41:19

Thanks Bellared!

5Foot5 Sun 01-Nov-09 17:34:38

Home made sweeties?

Fudge, toffee, peppermint creams, rum truffles etc.

GentleOtter Sun 01-Nov-09 17:37:15

felted slippers
felted jumper cushions
scarves
bird feeders
chilli/garlic oil

JANEITEluddite Sun 01-Nov-09 17:45:11

We did personalised pictures last year. Bought frames with lots of mini sections and put in pics to suit the recipient. Then decorated the frames with ribbons, buttons, charms etc to match the theme of the pics.

We also did journal jars from the MSE site, which went down well with pre-teen girls.

The year before we did mugs filled with hot choc sachets, marshmallows and chocolate spoons.

Don't know what we'll do this year so am bumping for inspiration!

Bellared Sun 01-Nov-09 20:14:39

They are all great ideas. I've not made peppermint creams for about 10 years!

Ikea is always a good place for oil bottles too. The joys of that place! I need a straight jacket when I go in there. blush

X

champs Mon 02-Nov-09 20:06:26

For adults:
sweetie flavoured Vodka (pear drops, skittles-leave out the green ones)
Cherry Brandy,
Fruit in alcohol (cherries in brandy etc)
Truffles