Talk

Advanced search

personalised name pillows/cushions

(6 Posts)
jenniepanda Fri 30-Oct-09 18:30:49

I am going to attempt to make something like this for some xmas presents this year. www.youcanmakethis.com/info/pillows/Personalized-Name-Pillows.htm. I am a fairly competant sewer, but haven't done any sort of applique (sp) before. Can I just use a normal foot on my machine to go around the letters and what stitch should I use, straight or zig-zag?
Thanks.

snickersnack Fri 30-Oct-09 18:44:31

I have no idea if this is "right" but it works for me...I iron interfacing on to the fabric before cutting which makes it less floppy then stitch in a contrasting colour with a narrow zig zag stitch...

moocowme Fri 30-Oct-09 19:45:55

i have some double sided interfacing stuff that i iron down the letters with befor sewing. yes you can just do a normal zig zag round it with no special accessories. you do need to make sure that the letters don't move as your sewing. i think personalised home made presents are the best.

jenniepanda Fri 30-Oct-09 23:45:44

Thanks - that link has a video on it that shows how to get started and she irons on interfacing which then has a sticky side that she peels off to position the letters before sewing. No idea what it's called, but it looks pretty good!
I shall give it a go and see how I get on. One more question though, do you zig-zag so the stich is just on the lettering, or half and half, or some other proprtions?
Thanks.

moocowme Sat 31-Oct-09 06:56:33

i aim for about half and half. you may wnt to practice a bit first to get the right stitch length for the zigzag on the fabric you are using. i always go for the widest stitch as well for that sort of thing.

KnottyLocks Sun 01-Nov-09 21:05:58

bondaweb is the stuff. I made something similar, with smaller letters for prezzies last year. They were much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now