Talk

Advanced search

decorating toddler table and chairs

(5 Posts)
fabmrsv Fri 30-Oct-09 14:00:08

not sure if this is the correct thread or not but i wanted to decorate a plain wooden table and chairs from ikea with some stickers. if i put clear varnish on top would that work ie help keep the stickers in place so they don't get marked/scratched? am v artistically challenged so just wanted something simple to make the table a bit more exciting for me ds. he loves in the night garden so was just going to put loads of stickers on it!

joesaphine Fri 30-Oct-09 15:27:00

varnish might smudge the stickers so try clear a spray that is clear acyrlic varnish (costs abouyt £4 from craft shops) which should bond the stikers and protect them. Just make sure your have plenty of spares. I am in the process of decorating and have toddler furniture from ikea that didn't quite go so used tester pots of farrow and ball (very expensive but such nice colours) at £4 a pot. Now they look lovely and so far have held upto the cement breakfast cereal that is marketered as weetabix!

Good luck x

fabmrsv Sat 31-Oct-09 10:30:40

thanks! could i put the clear acrylic varnish over the whole table as well as the stickers to protect it? i will have a think about it and may just paint the table and chairs a nice colour too. thanks! x

kcartyparty Mon 02-Nov-09 22:35:17

Family photo's on the table top look great. Varnish over to protect. Have fun

blithedance Wed 04-Nov-09 23:25:29

You might find your LO tires of the stickers about the same times as they get scruffy - In the Night Garden might be outgrown in a year or 2.

I have painted 2 sets of these tables/chairs in my time, the current ones have blue frames and plain wood varnished seat slats/tabletops. If you varnish the top well you have a better chance of cleaning pen/pencil/paint marks off.

Then you could put stickers on over the varnish (if you find some "stikarounds" on ebay they are pretty durable) and peel them off once DS moves on to Disney Cars/Ben 10/Metallica or whatever is next smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now