Talk

Advanced search

Calling all knitters....

(9 Posts)
UndertheBoredwalk Tue 27-Oct-09 19:34:40

Am knitting a blanket atm, and am a little unsure on a bit of the pattern, anyone shed some light for me??

'[k1,yf,k1,yf,k1] all into next st...'
It goes on, but have been looking at that bit for a while now and getting confused.

Do I need to K1 then pass it back to left needle, yf and k the same st again? I think it must mean that but am not 100%

tia

Lilymaid Tue 27-Oct-09 19:45:47

'[k1,yf,k1,yf,k1] all into next st...'
Do I need to K1 then pass it back to left needle, yf and k the same st again?
Yes, exactly that [she thinks whilst trying to mime action ...]

UndertheBoredwalk Tue 27-Oct-09 19:47:54

lol thanks Lily..(I had to mime it to see if I was making sense too grin)

UndertheBoredwalk Tue 27-Oct-09 20:42:15

Arrgghhhh this pattern is doing my head in <wails>

Ok knitters, pleeeeease pleeease help me figure out how the hell this works!

Is a Debbie Bliss pattern and she uses abbrv MB1
It says on side of pattern...

'MB1 = [k1,yf,k1,yf,k1] all into next st, turn, p5, turn, k3, k2tog, pass 3 st, one at a time over k2 tog.'

Right, so I've figured out that the initial part in brackets means to pass the st back to left needle and k into same st. the part in the brackets has yf twice so am making 2st.
the turning and turnign back creates a little bobble which looks right and looks like the picture of the blanket. But then I k2tog, so lose 1st. At that point I'm 1st up so need to lose one, to keep st count correct. But then pass 3 st over the k2tog?? does that mean right off the needle? cos if it does I'm losing 2st too many and looking further into the pattern I don't make them up again, so that can't be right. My blanket will not come out square, it'll get smaller and smaller. If I don't pass the 3 right off the needle, where do I pass them? back to the left? and if so I'm still 1st up arn't I?

Urgh head hurts. I have never had problems like this with a pattern, have always been able to look through and figure out what's needed, this just does not make sense to me.

PLEASE help me!

UndertheBoredwalk Tue 27-Oct-09 21:18:51

Am now talking to self. But after experimenting a little, I think what seems to be correct is to pass those 3st that were knitted before the k2tog back onto left needle. After doing that, it does look right. but I still seem to have the problem of making 2 and only losing 1. Am I missing something??

mablemurple Tue 27-Oct-09 21:38:44

Sorry Lily but that is not correct - op will end up with a loop of knitted stitches. You have to knit the stitch, but don't slip it off the left needle, yarn fwd, knit into the same stitch again but don't slip it off the needle, yarn fwd, knit into the same stitch yet again and then slip it off the needle. Sounds like you are making a bobble. It does get quite tight to knit when you don't slip it off the left needle, but that is correct. It might be worth checking any instructions in the pattern, as you may have to knit into the back of the stitch after the first yn fwd, then the front of the stitch after the second yn fwd. It may be easier to do this anyway.

Just read your second post and you are making a bobble.

The pattern instucts you to make 4 extra stitches - you have the original stitch plus the 2 yn fwds plus the two knits into the original stitch. So when you k2tog you lose one stitch, as you say, then the other 3 when you pass them over the k2tog. This leaves you with the original number of stitches.

hth smile

mablemurple Tue 27-Oct-09 21:43:28

Meant to add, when you turn and p5 you are purling the extra stitches you have just made (plus the original stitch), not the stitches that are part of the main pattern.

UndertheBoredwalk Tue 27-Oct-09 21:46:53

Mable you are a lifesaver I truly think you have just saved my sanity and my wool and needles which were about to be thrown out of the window! grin

Thankyou thankyou thankyou, it makes perfect sense now.

<mutters darkly about stupid fecking patterns, and requests for bobbly blankets>

mablemurple Tue 27-Oct-09 21:50:53

Glad I could help - good luck with the rest of the blanket, it sounds lovely grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now