Talk

Advanced search

Am a total novice at crafty stuff and need some inspiration please??

(12 Posts)
waitingforbedtime Fri 23-Oct-09 19:35:45

DS is almost 3 and I would like to make some Xmas pressies for people with him. Was thinking of Xmas decorations for tree, some foody thing or something. I am just completely clueless!! Can anyone help with good ideas please? Anything and everything?x

mowcop Fri 23-Oct-09 22:06:14

we bought some inexpensive picture frames last year. I took the glass out, then the kids covered them with paper mache or made patterns with string then we painted them gold or silver and put the glass back in and a nice piccy of the kids. We also make sweets every year for the nearest and dearest and the children cover small boxes in bits of Chrimbo paper to put them in. You could make salt dough tree decorations and let your little one paint/glitter them.

mowcop Fri 23-Oct-09 22:08:01

Sorry just wanted to add, a trip to the 99p Shop or Poundland if you have one locally is well worth it. We get most of our glitter, glue and shiny bits from them.

bb99 Fri 23-Oct-09 22:14:53

Hand prints as angel wings (2 of them) on cards, plus an angelic picture of your DS's face to make the angel's face and some additional art as the robe (can be a sponge print), or a single hand print can become an xmas tree. Not quite pressies, but very popular with the olds. Just add glitter!

JugularPiggy Fri 23-Oct-09 22:22:04

salt dough tree decorations are good. We got some xmas cake cutters and DD (who was 3 last xmas) loved cutting them out and decorating when they were ready.

We also make our own xmas cards. We drew some xmas themed items and DD coloured them, although there was more paint on her than the cards!

Last year we did the simple biscuits with the boiled sweets in the middle so it looks like stained glass.

This year we are going to pinch mowcop's fab picture frame idea grin and make our own sweets, bath salts and calendars.

There are a couple of homemade gift ideas in the xmas section here

JugularPiggy Fri 23-Oct-09 22:25:07

bb99 that is a great idea! DD will love seeing her picture on all the cards smile

I actually picked up a book at the library the other day on homemade cards but this is my favourite idea for cards so far!

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Sat 24-Oct-09 07:20:28

One year I made handprints in salt dough. My mom still has hers and the oldest must be seventeen or eighteen years old now. We make different ornaments every year-the kids especially like the pipe cleaners and crystals that you make from borax. I also buy a big roll of white butcher paper that can be just rolled out on the floor-so we've fingerpainted, painted, colored, and block printed our own wrapping paper each year.

liath Sat 24-Oct-09 07:30:35

Last year we did home made crackers (loo roll, coloured tissue, ribbons etc) with little gifts inside. Also we usually make shortbread for the great-grandparents as it's easy for the kids to help with, then they can decorate a box to put it in. HTH

bb99 Sat 24-Oct-09 08:29:54

TubOfLardWithInferio... they're really lovely ideas, will be pinching those! smile Where can you get butchers paper?

JP - my friend did a really great gift tag thingy last year, she Xmassed up a piccy of her DD and turned it into the gift tags she used - really cute, specially as she added the year so you could keep them as a pic. Your DD might like that one too smile

waitingforbedtime Sat 24-Oct-09 10:36:00

Ooooooooooooh thanks for the ideas guys.

Love the salt dough and Xmas cards and Wrapping paper ideas especially.

How do you make salt dough blush and what do you need to paint it with (what kind of paint?)

I saw air drying clay on Mr Maker blush - is it any good does anyone know?

Sorry, you're all very creative and talented and here I am on about Mr Maker!!! Told you I'm a novice!

Thanks again!

JugularPiggy Sat 24-Oct-09 12:05:27

salt dough recipe if you search MN there are lots of threads and ideas on salt dough.

DD loves mr maker! I am not so keen as i now have that blinking shape song stuck in my head grin

we have also made play dough sets for xmas gifts for other children. cheap lunch boxes, shape cutters and homemade play dough in different colours. it is a great gift for the kids of parents who don't actively encourage messy play! its wicked but the kids love it grin grin

these ideas are fab and great for this rainy weather smile

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Sat 24-Oct-09 16:08:57

I buy mine at Costco but I live in the States. I think you should be able to find it online though www.nextag.com/butcher-paper/products-html. If not you should be able to get inexpensive paper from your local newspaper. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now