Talk

Advanced search

Curtain fabric quantities - help me out here

(5 Posts)
maggiethecat Tue 20-Oct-09 18:00:28

I've had 2 sets of quotes to have living room curtains made. First quote asked for 18m of fabric. Second lady came and she was in and out in a flash - her quote says 14m (and 3 widths - don't know what that means really). But I'm wondering if difference in quantities will be reflected in the fullness of the curtains and how nice they will end up looking. Any ideas as to the difference?

ja9 Tue 20-Oct-09 18:11:06

amount of fabric is to do with

the width of curtains... for living rm curtains double widths are recommended (ie 2 widths on each curtain so 4 in a pair)- fuller and nicer... width and a halfs (1 and a half each curtain so 3 widths for a pair) fine for bedrooms etc.

2. the pattern repeat on the fabric.

you need to find out what the first quote was for but sounds like it may be for doubles and that would account for the extra material

thisisyesterday Tue 20-Oct-09 18:15:18

how wide are your windows?

i think anything over 2m they usually use 2 widths per curtain.

your second lady might be doing 3widths overall, ie,1.5 width per curtain, which will mean they are less full.

fwiw our windows are 2.25m wide and we had curtains made double width and they are VERY full. we could have got away with 1.5 widths

maggiethecat Tue 20-Oct-09 18:20:07

That's helpful. In neither case had I chosen a fabric so that was never a consideration.

Second quote was a lot cheaper but I suppose that's because it was for 1.5 widths. Will check with her for quote for doubles.

maggiethecat Tue 20-Oct-09 19:00:47

Thisisyesterday I don't know for sure but ours look like they could be about 2.5 wide as well (curved bay windows and I would say the drop is about 2m (to stop just below sill)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now