Talk

Advanced search

Any sewing/ dressmaking type people who can give me some advice?

(6 Posts)
robino Tue 20-Oct-09 12:49:18

I have an A-line denim skirt that I do not wear and I was about to get rid when I remembered I have just got my sticky mitts on my mum's sewing machine. Would I be able to convert it into a pencil skirt without too much fuss?

Can sew in a straight line and made half a t-shirt at school grin but am fairly practical when it comes to crafty stuff, am hoping to get to grips with it fairly soon and maybe make a few pinafore dresses for DD's and maybe some skirts for me.

pipWereRabbit Tue 20-Oct-09 14:56:29

This may not be the most professional way to do it, but assuming you are happy with the waist band and pockets I'd try the following:

Turn inside out.

Decide roughly where you want the new seams of the skirt to go - pin and then tack (big temporary stitches) which will let you try on the new shape and check it will fit. Adjust until you are happy.

Sew along the tacking stitches with the sewing machine - just a straight stitch. Lop off the excess material and then zigzag stitch over the raw edges to stop them fraying.

And voila.

You might need to put in a split at the back of the skirt to make it easier to walk. Assuming skirt has seam up the back, unpick the bottom 4 or so inches, resew the edges and reinforce the top of the spil with a triangle of stitching.

pipWereRabbit Tue 20-Oct-09 14:57:15

sorry - split not spil...

robino Tue 20-Oct-09 17:00:09

Thanks Pip. That's kind of what I was thinking of doing - good to hear that somebody who has more knowledge than me had a similar idea. Don't care about professional way of doing things as long as it looks ok from the outside grin

pipWereRabbit Tue 20-Oct-09 17:53:58

Let me know how it goes - I might get inspired myself smile.

robino Tue 20-Oct-09 22:11:06

Pip - have tacked it tonight. Think it will work, OH didn't scoff anyway grin.

Don't know when I'll get time to get the sewing machine up and running, it's a long time since I used it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now