Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Garter stitch jumper with hood-need pattern!

(11 Posts)
merglemergle Mon 13-Jun-05 10:00:16

Hi. I'm looking for a pattern for a garter stitch jumper (not cardigan really) with a hood, to fit a 2-3 year old. Ideally dk yarn. Absolute ideal is rainbow stripes but not fussy, can adapt pattern.

Ok I know its a long shot-but any suggestions? Don't mind buying a book or something, and obviously can adapt eg a patterned jumper. Just want to know how many stitches to knit where, IYKWIM.

Thanks

giraffeski Mon 13-Jun-05 10:03:23

Message withdrawn

merglemergle Mon 13-Jun-05 20:20:57

What is this "reverse stocking stitch" of which you speak?

Have never heard of it but sounds intriguing.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 13-Jun-05 20:26:51

Reverse stocking stitch is just when you use the reverse of "normal" (i.e. flat, i.e. knitted with a row of knit, a row of purl, repeat) fabric.

I'd think a normal pattern would work for this. I don't know how to do the hood, but to do the body, surely you just need to work out how big it should be, do a sample swatch, and do that maths to work out how many stitches to do? And steal a pattern for sleeves from something else? I don't think it makes any difference if you're doing it in garter stitch, stocking stitch, or reverse stocking stitch.

(And what is unstable about garter stitch? It curls up less, doesn't it?)

tamum Mon 13-Jun-05 20:45:55

There's a nice pattern for hooded sweaters in all sizes here , but it's not in garter stitch. There are garter stitch jumpers for up to 3 year olds here , so maybe you could combine the two? Both patterns are free, which is a plus

giraffeski Mon 13-Jun-05 23:38:43

Message withdrawn

giraffeski Mon 13-Jun-05 23:39:27

Message withdrawn

giraffeski Mon 13-Jun-05 23:39:47

Message withdrawn

merglemergle Tue 14-Jun-05 12:50:01

Thanks for all replies. Fantastic site tamum. May try to combine the two, as you suggest. Or the reverse stocking stitch idea on the stocking stitch jumper is also a good idea.

I really like garter stitch, and it suprises me that there are so few patterns. 1. It is so much quicker and more relaxing, I find. 2. It is thicker and softer and warmer. 3. I just like the way it looks, when its done really nicely. But its so hard to find nice patterns, especially nicely fashioned + finished ones (don't really like Debbie Bliss-too "boxy") . I suppose it uses a bit more wool, but so does moss stitch.

Anyway. Ta. Really didn't expect much of a response, well chuffed.

giraffeski Tue 14-Jun-05 12:58:44

Message withdrawn

merglemergle Tue 14-Jun-05 13:16:30

Oh, I like moss stitch too but it takes too long! I think I know what you mean about not being stable, but I find that if I use a size smaller needles for the edges it isn't too bad. Mind you, have only used it for small babies stuff-never where its got much wear.

I do think it takes stripes really nicely, too. Maybe I shall start a garter stitch appreciation society...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now