Talk

Advanced search

Help - need to make a victorian maid outfit for DD aged 8!!

(10 Posts)
andirobobo Thu 15-Oct-09 20:30:11

Upcoming school trip - chosen a victorian maid outfit.

Needs:

Black skirt
Black shirt
White apron pref with bib
White mop cap

I can sew but only by hand as no machine!

Any great ideas - Ebay outfits would be £15 plus - was wanting to do as cheap as possible!

Thanks!

Cometrickortreatingwithme Thu 15-Oct-09 21:15:04

Ask on freecycle or on here if anyone has one they can lend you.

I know you don't want to spend loads but i have seen one on ebay for 10.00 with free p&p.

cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIRLS-VICTORIAN-TUDOR-MAID-COSTUME-DRESS-APRON-HAT-3pc_W0QQitemZ150378417488QQcmdZVie wItemQQptZUK_Clothes_Children_sFancyDress_RL?hash=item2303408d50&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.

MrsBadger Thu 15-Oct-09 21:21:44

shirt and skirt can come from primark / your wardrobe, but apron and hat are worth making/ buying as will get wheeled out frequently

am just looking online for a free/cheap downloadable pattern, back in a min

Ponders Thu 15-Oct-09 21:21:58

Def ask on freecycle but don't use the word lend, they don't like it (or our jobsworth mod doesn't, I don't know if they're all as bad hmm)

Have a trawl round the charity shops for a black blouse & skirt - very small women's ones should be OK - or even an adult dress, which would be nice & long on an 8-yr-old.

Mob cap £4.45 plus p&p here

You could possibly improvise an apron or find a cheap plain white one on a market?

Cometrickortreatingwithme Thu 15-Oct-09 21:24:18

I bet someone on Mn would lend you one if you have no luck with freecycle.

andirobobo Thu 15-Oct-09 21:25:01

Black skirt - I kind of thought of buying some material from the shop that sells it for £3 a metre and making a gathered skirt - got some elastic in the sewing box. She is thin so wont need too much!

Can get some white material as well and make an apron and hat - if got some form of pattern!

Primark - will look for a shirt there at weekend

Will put ad on freecycle - great idea!

Thanks!

MrsBadger Thu 15-Oct-09 21:27:48

this is the right shape and easier to make than the ruffled kind

andirobobo Thu 15-Oct-09 21:37:37

Mrs Badger - that looks ideal - thanks!

I can see a busy few weeks ahead of me!

MrsBadger Thu 15-Oct-09 21:39:08

three good pinafore patterns to download as pdfs here - the middle one looks best if she's going to be dressed as a child, the last one if she's a 'working' maid.

Spacehoppa Thu 15-Oct-09 21:51:32

I have made mop cap for my little one. You need a circle of white cotton about 2-2 1/2 times width of head. Handsew hem around circumference (and maybe lace on it?) and then sew in elastic about inch from that hem gathering the material as you go a bit until it is snug but not tight on head.

Might sound fiddly but only takes an hour or so in front of telly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now