Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

want to make own wedding invites any ideas

(21 Posts)
aaliyahsmum Fri 10-Jun-05 15:41:37

me and dp are getting wed in oct and i have thought i mite make our invites BUT....... i have no ideas whatsoever, and i have noticed there are plenty of artistic people on mumsnet

almostanangel Fri 10-Jun-05 15:46:23

i would help but i dont wanna keep butting in

flamesparrow Fri 10-Jun-05 15:46:59

I made mine.

Very very simple, and (no I'm not on commision from them) all from Hobbycraft.

We managed to get pretty creamy cards with a sort of gold shimmer to them and they had pretty edging.

It was then a case of getting the stick on gold lettering saying Wedding Invitation (not idividual letters, whole words), and we put a little swirly corner thingy in the opposite corner.

They were very very simple, but elegantly effective.

flamesparrow Fri 10-Jun-05 15:48:54

Are you being an interfering angel???

almostanangel Fri 10-Jun-05 15:50:23

as always lol is my job,,angel by name etc

aaliyahsmum Fri 10-Jun-05 16:08:12

almostanangel you interfer when you like.
i saw some simple ones on hobbycraft web site but i think they are a bit plain

flamesparrow Fri 10-Jun-05 16:13:47

Hmm... mine were quite plain.

wordsmith Fri 10-Jun-05 16:34:23

Our babysistter is getting married tomorrow and my DS1 'designed' her invite!! (He's 5). She was sitting for us a couple of months ago and he drew a picture of her and her dp holding hands. It was a typical childish pic but she loved it and aksed if she could use it. She scanned it in on her computer and did a little card. DS got a credit on the back! It's something I have put in his keepsake box.

champs Fri 10-Jun-05 19:14:45

hi aaliyahsmum,
what theme are you having? what colours? what kind of look are you going for?

wordsmith, that is so nice. how clever of ds1 a little crafter in the making

aaliyahsmum Fri 10-Jun-05 21:57:17

i have no idea on colours except i hate green, brown and yellow. my flowers are going to be cream, peach and gold

Tommy Fri 10-Jun-05 22:23:03

I do cross stitch and I made a picture of the church, we scanned it into the computer and used it as the front of the invitation - with our names and date also stitched. We bought blank cards from John Lewis. We just printed the insides.

Can't believe I ever time to do all that! (before children and before MN obviously )

champs Sat 11-Jun-05 09:58:19

ok, say we went with a gold, peach and cream (quite nice for a wedding). would you like a floral design(with florwer) or contemporary like with a feather, or something personal like a photo of you and dp? you could spread this colour theme all the way through the stationary and have order of service, menu's etc. are you having a reception? is it being proff decorated or are you doing it? you could use gold and cream balloons, and have the colour scheme reflected in flowers and tables

aaliyahsmum Tue 14-Jun-05 15:21:41

champs great idea,we are doing all decorating ourself, i am more into contempary designs tbh.

Dingle Tue 14-Jun-05 16:00:20

How about scanning in a picture and printing in black and white. Layer the picture onto a basic silver square.

fairycakes Tue 14-Jun-05 16:06:52

a friend recently got married ad they made their won invites/menu/order of service etc they were fantastic, they bought all their stuff from hobbycraft - they were so good i am astonished when she said they had made them - i fancied doing that myself until she told me how long they took to make them so think i am just going to buy my own but i would love to be able to make them - but not patient anough!!

x

teeavee Tue 14-Jun-05 16:08:47

might not be appropriate for an autumn wedding - but a great wedding invite I once saw at a friend was a small mineral water bottle with rolled-up 'parchment' inside, printed with the invitation, along with some sand and little seashells! message in a bottle - and it was sent through the post ! sweet idea, I thought!

otherwise, perhaps something using pressed autumn leaves would be nice....? just a thought...

cluckychook Tue 28-Jun-05 15:58:24

I made my wedding invitations and orders of service using paper from a craft shop with petals in. The petals were the same colour as the wedding flowers and bridesmaid dresses - I think they have some in peach.

I printed the orders of service and the invitations out on the computer in a nice font. Then just folded and stuck them into the cards, and hand wrote the names on the invitations.

littlerach Tue 28-Jun-05 16:34:34

My friend made all of mine, they were lilac and silver. Lilac card, then layers of "torn" paper in the centre, a tiny flower and ribbon and I think a heart. We printed the inside.

jenthehen Tue 28-Jun-05 17:08:18

aalihahsmum, We made all ours and although it took ages I look back at all the detail and realised how it helped to make the day really personal. We printed the words on parchment style paper, embossed our initials in gold in the top corner, attached deep red ribbon on the bottom and sent them with glitter golden heartsinside, in a gold tube through the post - I also did a large calligraphy table plan decorated with ivy and gold acorns. ave fun!

matnanplus Tue 28-Jun-05 17:17:36

We are printing the invites+++ onto fancy [parchment type] paper and then with fabric swatches from color scheme are getting things like tiny roses/leaves/bows from hobbycraft and sticking them on with a hot glue gun, this way invite/reply/menu/seat name/pressie list all carry the theme at a fraction of the cost of retail. Oh and a guest who does calligraphy is writing in the names.

suzi2 Tue 28-Jun-05 20:07:05

I made my own (DH helped on the production line!). Mine were a white 'hammer effect' card with a sticky "Invitation" in silver on them, 2 squares torn mulberry paper (lilac & white) with a paper flower and ribbon.

made them as follows. Firstly, made a 'cut out template' for where the paper squares and Invitation wording go to keep them all the same. Mulberry squares were marked out using water - then they simply tear apart and are all the same size. Mulberry squares spray glued in bulk and stuck on. Paper flower and ribbon attached using hot glue gun. Inserts (precut slightly smaller) printed on laser printer. Stuck in using narrow double sided tape.

All things bought from craftcreations.com apart from the paper flowers as I couldn't get the right colour. Got them at the craft shop.

Sus, x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now