Talk

Advanced search

What a bargain !

(14 Posts)
johnbarrowmanlovesme Fri 09-Oct-09 17:04:39

I have just bought some plain black 100% aprons from Home Bargains for 99p each, what a bargain smile

School PTA are going to use them for events when we serve food so we want to put the School name on them, where your School name would normally go on the kids uniform. I have been quoted £20 to embroider them which is far too expensive.

Any of you creative ladies have any ideas of how to do this ? I can sew but don't know if it would look naff if it was hand sewn hmm

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you x

EccentricaGallumbats Fri 09-Oct-09 17:09:13

Anyone you know with a fancy sewing machine at home? My mate has one which does writing,

Where's home bargains. I want some.

johnbarrowmanlovesme Fri 09-Oct-09 17:17:41

I will have to ask around in the playground about sewing machines.

There is a Home Bargains in Bangor in North Wales, they do also have stores around the country, not sure where though, I think they might be quite new. Well worth a visist IMO.

Thanks for your reply x

TwoIfByScream Fri 09-Oct-09 17:20:06

There is a Home Bargains in Linlithgow, great idea jblm about the aprons, why not sew it yourself or get the school children to do something?

AitchTwoToTangOh Fri 09-Oct-09 17:22:13

is there a blazer patch for sale somewhere?

johnbarrowmanlovesme Fri 09-Oct-09 17:24:31

I would like to do it myself but not sure of what stitch I would use hmm Just a chain stitch with thick embroidery cotton do you think?

I would also be a nice idea for the chilren to do something. I will ask my dc if they have any ideas.

Thanks for your ideas x

stealthsquiggle Fri 09-Oct-09 17:24:54

Put out an appeal through school - there must be one parent with a suitably fancy sewing machine?

Otherwise, get some transfer paper for dark materials like this - you should be able to get several logos per sheet so one pack would do 60+ aprons - and if properly done it will easily withstand washing.

johnbarrowmanlovesme Fri 09-Oct-09 17:26:46

No blazer patch Aitch, we have the school logo embroidered on.

AitchTwoToTangOh Fri 09-Oct-09 17:28:16

how many are you going to do? if there are quite a few then 20 quid is beginning to sound quite reasonable...

johnbarrowmanlovesme Fri 09-Oct-09 17:47:34

Only 10 of them

AitchTwoToTangOh Fri 09-Oct-09 17:50:28

so it'll be three quid per monogrammed apron? bargain, imo. can you ask them to do it for less and promise them a thank you in a school newsletter or something?

johnbarrowmanlovesme Fri 09-Oct-09 21:29:32

Put like that it doesn't seem like too much. I think I will give them another ring on Monday & see if we can have it any cheaper.

Thanks for the link stealth, I am going to look into that as well.

Want them done quite soon so we can look posh for our Fireworks event grin

Thanks for all your replies x

AitchTwoToTangOh Fri 09-Oct-09 21:33:41

i think 20quid is a fair price. it'll be more than an hour's work, presumably, and plenty of people get a tenner an hour for work these days.

stealthsquiggle Mon 12-Oct-09 10:26:55

I has assumed you meant £20 each - I agree with Aitch, £20 for 10 sounds like a bargain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now