Talk

Advanced search

Candle-makers!!!

(8 Posts)
mogs0 Wed 07-Oct-09 20:05:50

I am now ready to start making my candles and was wondering how everyone else is getting on.

I think I have all the ingredients but I'm still a little unsure about the amount of wax/fragrance I need to fill each vessel I have but I guess a bit of trial and error is needed!!

murphyslaw Thu 08-Oct-09 16:33:15

Trial and error indeed! My DD and I had our 1st session on Tuesday. Melted soya chips in large jug in microwave. Surprisingly easy and without a doubt the essential oils smell the best, wink have fun!

mogs0 Fri 09-Oct-09 23:37:35

What did I do wrong? I filled various cups/pots/egg cups last night and almost all have sunk a little in the middle. I found it quite tricky to get the wicks where I wanted them too! I used clothes pegs to try and keep them in place but my pegs are obviously not suitable for such a task as they kept slipping into the melted wax!!

MamaGoblin Sat 10-Oct-09 20:32:31

It's been ages since I made candles, but I think the other thread said - heat up the vessels first, it'll help the wax stick and stop it slumping in the middle. smile

mogs0 Sun 11-Oct-09 20:44:22

I did heat them up, maybe not long enough - though they were very hot when I took them out of the microwave!! I've sent a couple out to my family for them to try out and see if they're smelly enough so will wait and see what they think then maybe try topping up the next batch if they sink too!!

I bought some lovely espresso cups and saucers yesterday from Whittards. £4 for 4 cups/saucers!! I'm going to fill them next. smile

HeadInAWhirl Sun 11-Oct-09 21:00:17

When m,y dad did candles when we were little I remember them sinking in the middle and him topping them up as they set - don't think he warmed the moulds though

cookielove Sun 11-Oct-09 21:03:09

oh my god you are scaring me, am planning to make candles for xmas gifts, when buying the wax i got a real sinking feeling, 'like what the hell am i thinking' and now there is more panic, i have bought little metal buckets, will they be ok?

mogs0 Tue 13-Oct-09 21:25:41

Just had another go and the 2nd lot were far more successful!! I've run out of wax now though. I'm deciding whether to order more online or save the p&p charge and looking for some in town.

Any suggestions for Christmassy fragrance combinations?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now