Talk

Advanced search

Knitting: How to put a large buttonhole in a scarf??

(14 Posts)
MummyElk Sun 27-Sep-09 12:18:14

So I'm knitting a simple scarf, no pattern, just large needles, big wool and knitting it through.
I'd quite like to put a large slit in the first third of the scarf so that when wrapped around, one end of the scarf fits neatly through the hole, sort of like a button hole?
As I see it, I can stop knitting halfway through somewhere...hold one half of the stitches on a needle, carry on knitting the first half, then continue knitting up on the other half with a new ball of wool?
Does that make sense?
Would that work?
And how would i incorporate the two halves back together again???

bronze Sun 27-Sep-09 12:19:15

You could drop a number of stitches and then carry on knitting as normal

TimeForMe Sun 27-Sep-09 13:03:03

Why don't you just cast off the required number of stitches in the required place and then cast same number of stitches back on again in same place on next row, like a proper big button hole. HTH smile

TimeForMe Sun 27-Sep-09 13:04:52

Ahh. Are you talking a length ways split? If so my method won't work. Will think about this one

TimeForMe Sun 27-Sep-09 13:06:18

Right, having thought about it I think your ides is a good idea. I think that's the way I would do it too smile

bronze Sun 27-Sep-09 13:12:10

oh yes see what you mean now

MummyElk Sun 27-Sep-09 19:39:58

ah ha thank you bronze and t4m!! am also semi glad your brains did a similar journey to mine too!
So, yes it's a lengthways split...
in which case, if my method would work...how do i incorporate both the lines of wool back in together? as i see it, i'll end up joining the two halves together but i'd have two lines of wool going...can i just knit over the second line, (ie take the line used for the left hand side and use it to knit over the right hand side) and work the second line of wool back into the knit at the end with a crochet hook?

sorry to keep quizzing. have been thinking about this for a while now!!! smile

CrackWhoretoPaulDacre Sun 27-Sep-09 19:42:51

Don't cast off the stitches you work up first - put them on a spare needle or stitch-holder - then when you get back to that row on the other side, slide them all onto one needle.

For a neater edge, you might want to whip round the slit with crab-stitch crochet or similar, otherwise it can look a bit messy

CrackWhoretoPaulDacre Sun 27-Sep-09 19:45:08

Have a quick look around youtube and see if any of the demos fit what you're after?

MummyElk Sun 27-Sep-09 19:52:37

hello CW2PD
good suggestion (i was going to slide onto a spare needle etc) and don't be angry if i'm being stupid but..
in my head, if i do that...then i end up with two live threads going - one in the middle of the row...and one at the end of the row....? make any sense?!!
really sorry blush
<slinks off to youtube as well, good suggestion too>

CrackWhoretoPaulDacre Sun 27-Sep-09 19:57:50

2 live halves is fine - just ignore the left hand yarn tail as you work over from the right, then weave it away once you've done a few more rows with the main yarn.

MummyElk Sun 27-Sep-09 20:02:05

brilliant grin
thank you!!!! much appreciated. sorry for the dumbness x

CrackWhoretoPaulDacre Sun 27-Sep-09 20:09:00

Just don't blame me too much if it goes wrong grin

DutchOma Mon 28-Sep-09 13:42:04

You don't even have to put them on a spare needle. When you come to the place where you want the split you knit up to half way on the needle, turn round and knit to the end. Keep doing this until your slit is long enough (i.e the width of the scarf0, you knit to half way the scarf again, but this time attach a second ball to the left over stitches and knit the same number of rows as you did for the first half (Hint: put a marker thread in every ten rows so you don't have to keep counting.)
When you have the same number of rows on the second half you just knit the whole length of the needle and finish the scarf.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now