Talk

Advanced search

Poo! Just made my DD1 a gorgeous skirt and she doesn't like it!

(10 Posts)
FlamingoDuBeke Tue 22-Sep-09 12:56:03

She saw me making it, kept getting excited when she saw each stage, and then, when it was made, said to me 'I don't really like it - I don't like pink'! hmm

Never mind - it's got three more DDs to get through yet, but I was trying to make DD1 some skirts as she has none at the moment! I have plans to make her a similar one with blue needlecord (it's a lovely tiered skirt).

ButtercupWafflehead Tue 22-Sep-09 12:58:10

Crikey, can't beat kids for tact eh? hmm

It sounds really nice, though! Did you have a pattern? You should post a pic on your profile, I could do with some inspiration!

kiwibella Tue 22-Sep-09 16:41:53

hmmmm hmm funny little bunny!! She can choose lots of other colours to wear with her pink skirt.

kiwibella Tue 22-Sep-09 16:46:43

there is this tutorial here.

This isn't the one I was thinking of tho wink. Hope Flamingo comes back to post her pattern for you.

kiwibella Tue 22-Sep-09 16:53:32

here it is

Flibbertyjibbet Tue 22-Sep-09 16:54:05

Never mind, I knit and my boys would never wear any of the fabulous aran sweaters I made them (they are 3 and 4).
Now I just knit them hats and save my skills for beautiful things to make for myself grin

You reminded me, I am one of 4 girls and my mum used to run up little dresses for us with our initial on the pocket.....smile

and I really believed her when she said the initial was there so she could tell which little girl was who grin

FlamingoDuBeke Tue 22-Sep-09 20:21:06

Kiwi - it was this one. It's a fab blog. I did see the kuky one, but prefer the blueprints one for clarity myself.

I will try and get a pic on - although I don't imagine it will be with DD wearing it grin.

It was very easy, and I feel very confident with making more now. I did 5 tiers - I think I would have exploded on the last one if I'd done 6! Too much gathering!

Basically I measured her hips and added 10cm to that measurement. That's the length of the first tier. Then I measured from her waist to where we wanted it to come on her legs and divided it by 5 (i.e. 5 tiers) then added 3cm SA - that's the tier width for each tier. I added a further 6cm to the top tier for the elastic casing.

Each tier is 1.5 times the length of the one above it, so tier 2 is hips+10cm x 1.5. Tier 3 is tier 2 x 1.5 and so on.

I had to make up the lengths with the last three tiers. So first of all I sewed all the bits together so I had all the tiers made up. Then gathered and sewed the second to the first tier, zigzagging over the seams each time to stop them fraying. Did the same with each tier but made sure I hemmed the last tier before I gathered it and sewed it to the fourth tier.

Then I made the casing for the waist elastic, threaded the elastic through and it was done. It didn't take long at all. I have plans now for a lovely blue needlecord one next.

I discovered a tip for myself for the gathering though. First of all I just did long stitches on the machine, but the thread broke on the third tier when I pulled it to make the gathers, so I tried a thicker thread but that wouldn't pull through the fabric at all.

Lastly I decided that, as it's the bobbin thread you pull, I would reduce the tension on the top thread loads, so the bobbin thread wasn't going through the material at all, used a normal thread on the bobbin and the top thread, and it worked brilliantly - even on the very, very long bottom tier smile.

I'll post again when I've got a pic on my profile. Next project is a new handbag.

FlamingoDuBeke Tue 22-Sep-09 22:14:07

I've posted a photo now. Not a great one - too dark! But you can kind of see it.

ButtercupWafflehead Thu 24-Sep-09 08:46:22

It's very cute! LOVE the Raliway Children one, too!

JackBauer Thu 24-Sep-09 09:59:58

I made DD1 3 skirts before I made one she will wear, and now it is far too small and it is more a belt, but she won't wear any of the others I have made.

I made her wristie glove things after she begged for blue ones to match mine, She even chose the yarn, and now she cries if I suggest putting them onhmm

<gives up>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now