Talk

Advanced search

knitting question about increasing

(10 Posts)
whizzylala Tue 22-Sep-09 11:03:31

Hi,
I have been knitting for a few months, pretty easy stuff. The pattern I am doing at the moment (a teddy) requires me to increase a stitch at beginning and end of row - what kind of increase should I use for this? Does it mean the very last and very first stitch too? I had a go and it looked terrible!
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Whiz

scarlotti Tue 22-Sep-09 12:52:26

I'd increase in the first and last stitch of the row, by knitting into the front and then the back of the stitch.
Basically do a normal knit stitch into the front of the stitch, but don't take the knitted stitch off the needle until you've knitted into the back of it too.

Hope that makes sense!

ali11 Tue 22-Sep-09 14:29:01

hI
I would pick up yhe loop between the first and second stitch and the second last and last stistch to increase as that gives a better looking finish to your increase
. Hope you understand

whizzylala Tue 22-Sep-09 17:08:15

Ok, thanks both. If I pick up the loop am I right in thinking I pick it up onto left hand needle and then actually knit it?

ali11 Tue 22-Sep-09 17:42:45

HI WHIZZYLALA
tHATS RIGHT THATS THE WAY I WOULD DO IT

BellaBear Tue 22-Sep-09 17:44:51

have you tried www.knittinghelp.com? Lots of v clear videos and many different ways to increase

bamboobutton Tue 22-Sep-09 17:46:14

i find picking up the loop makes a little hole. knitting into the front and then back of the loop doesn't.

bamboobutton Tue 22-Sep-09 17:46:47

front and back of the stitch, not loop. doh!

whizzylala Tue 22-Sep-09 18:02:02

Ok here I go, stitching into front and back it is - I can do that one anyway!
Thanks very much.

BellaBear Tue 22-Sep-09 20:14:57

re picking up a loop - if you knit into the back of the picked up loop that should twist it and avoid the hole

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now