Talk

Advanced search

Taste gurus: renovating a pine bedframe. What to do?

(2 Posts)
faraday Fri 18-Sep-09 09:34:24

Our double bed is a BIT knocked around. It's a 'country cottage' look one in that it has those barley sugar cane 'spindles', a slightly 'curley-cue' look to the top edges of the headboard and foot-board and top of each leg has been 'turned' into a ball and collar, iyswim. It's vanished in a mid-honey colour.

Thing is the other furniture in the room is fairly modern. We have 2 chests of drawers in the Ikea Aneboda range- flat birch fronts and top, an opaque 'glass' window on the front of the top drawer and horizontal brushed chrome handles. The bedside tables are a similar birch colour with grey metal legs and currently round silver handles that I will replace with Aneboda style ones.

I am thinking I will repaint the bedframe either white or very pale cream using a low sheen gloss.

Things I want opinions on:

Should I?

Should I leave the spindles as they are ie varnished and paint the rest of the frame? And possibly leave the collars of the legs unpainted though I don't know how I'd make the edges look clean.

What about a limewash look instead of solid paint? I guess there is an issue of wet paint 'beading' on the bits of varnish I don't sand off. This effect could look good or tatty.

I don't intend sanding the whole thing back to bare wood, incidentally! It isn't worth that much effort on my part!

Ivykaty44 Fri 18-Sep-09 12:18:22

limewash - easier all round to apply and will fit in with modert or old

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now