Talk

Advanced search

Interlining curtains: materials/quilting materials?

(7 Posts)
Prunerz Fri 18-Sep-09 09:04:52

I am about to interline our curtains for winter (what I wouldn't give for double glazing, but hey) - what is the best material to use?

I was told to buy something called 'bumph' which seemed to be polyester wadding - ideally I'd like something natural. Would cotton wadding do as good a job, or would it be far too heavy?

ThingumyandBob Fri 18-Sep-09 09:27:02

In theory you could use anything you want as long as you can sew it in and it can be held up by the tape or whatever you choose at the top. So something that can lie flat and on the grain and it not too heavy, the weight would depend on the size of the curtains also.

You can get cotton backed wadding and I also remember using a wool/cotton mix ‘bumph’ that had a much nicer feel than the polyester wadding, it was usually used when we were making more expensive curtains as it wasn’t quite as thick but had a more luxurious feel to it, plus it was much nicer to sew in.

Do you have a john Lewis or a C&H fabrics near you? They are quite good, or a good independent sewing shop…

Prunerz Fri 18-Sep-09 09:46:47

THanks! So when you say 'can be held up by the tape', do you mean it is better structurally if the bumph is sewn under the tape? Because I am doing a bit of an Ikea hack here and was just going to sew it in from where the tape finishes iyswim blush Should I unpick the seam that holds the tape in and anchor the bumph in under that?

THe curtains are about 2.30m so I guess weight is an issue.

Prunerz Fri 18-Sep-09 09:47:10

(PS what does 'on the grain' mean?)

alypaly Fri 18-Sep-09 09:53:41

if you line them with bumph you might have to change your rails to take the weight.

Would rcommmend that you take the tape off otherwise thay wont hang properly.

If the lining isnt in same grain it stops things from hanging properly.
The grain is the run of the threads in the material...they need to run in the same direction as the original curtains.

Prunerz Fri 18-Sep-09 10:06:25

OK many thanks alypaly
v informative (am a total curtain dunce, as you can see!)
Appreciate your help, both, thanks

ThingumyandBob Fri 18-Sep-09 12:29:30

That’s ok….thinking about it, I remember being able to buy thermal lining fabric which is thinner than interlining, it’s not a natural fabric though but it may make the job easier. If you found a fabric shop thought they may be able to advise.

Are the curtains lined already? Or are they un-lined ones?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now