Talk

Advanced search

Can I just have a little virtual pat on the back for getting my sewing machine working tonight for the first time despite owning it for 3 years?

(29 Posts)
nevergoogledragonbutter Fri 11-Sep-09 20:39:13

I did it!
Today is a big day.
I'm not even sure what the word is. Did I thread it up? or set it up?
I even put thread on the little spool that goes in the bottom bit.
I've had a little practise on some folded material and it all seems to be working nicely.

Yipee!

All set for my second beginners sewing class on monday when i'm taking my own machine and we are going to make a bag. grin

blithedance Fri 11-Sep-09 20:46:11

Pat, pat. The world is your oyster grin. "Threaded up", I think.

nevergoogledragonbutter Fri 11-Sep-09 20:52:47

thanks smile

nickytwotimes Fri 11-Sep-09 20:55:02

Well done!

Sewing machines are tricky to get going.
I frequently fall out with mine. The underneath bobbin thingy gets tangled and I saywee sweary words!

nevergoogledragonbutter Fri 11-Sep-09 21:02:32

oh i said one of them (ohyouweefucker) and then decided it was time for the children to go to bed. grin

it was that damn bobbin that gave me all the grief.

attempted a button hole but the thing started banging on the reverse bit and getting all knotted up. that's one for the teacher on monday.

kiwibella Fri 11-Sep-09 23:38:49

good on you NGDB!! Have fun at your class... and come back to share pics of your masterpiece when it's done grin.

vInTaGeVioLeT Sat 12-Sep-09 00:01:53

well done smile i have a love/hate relationship with my sewing machine, i wonder why they are sew grin difficult to operate?

alypaly Sat 12-Sep-09 00:09:02

mended my sons jeans and broke the machine..tension wont go right anymore amd ive tried everythingsad

JackBauer Sat 12-Sep-09 19:56:24

Well done! <pats in manly fashion>

And buttonholes are hard. You could make something much simpler as a first project!

nevergoogledragonbutter Sun 13-Sep-09 21:04:06

is it wrong to be excited about my next sewing class tomorrow evening.

button holes, here we come!

lunavix Mon 14-Sep-09 20:11:01

I wish there was a sewing class near me! I'm picking up a second hand machine from freecycle tonight grin I'm desperately excited, although apparently I need to fix the tension! (will be googling that later then...)

nevergoogledragonbutter Mon 14-Sep-09 22:05:28

Yay, I made a bag!
(well almost, i ran out of time to cover my button and sew it on, will sort that out this week).

Right, I need to find some fabric for some pyjama bottoms...

Lunavix, i bet there is a class, or maybe you could adopt somebody elses sewing mother that might show you how.

lavenderkate Mon 14-Sep-09 22:19:23

Lunavix, I agree. I have been looking for a sewing class near me too.

Nevergoo congrats on your success. Thinj I might dust off my machine tomorrow now, youve inspired me.smile

nevergoogledragonbutter Mon 14-Sep-09 22:23:50

would it be excessive to make DS2 pyjamas in the same material as the duvet and pillow i'm going to make.

would i lose him?

lavenderkate Mon 14-Sep-09 22:31:19

grin so loving your enthusiasm !

nevergoogledragonbutter Mon 14-Sep-09 22:32:46

maybe i could sew his pyjames onto the sheet then i'd know where to find him? grinblush

MaggieBeauLeo Mon 14-Sep-09 22:34:35

You certainly CAN> well done!

I bought one a while ago and the thread from below won't link up with thread from the top iykwim. I know I boughtthe cheapest one, but still..................

I'm handstiching a bag right now. HAD PLANNED to do it on the sewing machine. sad

MaggieBeauLeo Mon 14-Sep-09 22:35:44

how much did you spend on your machine? I was too mean I think!

nevergoogledragonbutter Mon 14-Sep-09 22:46:08

i don't know because it was given to me for christmas. I can't seem to find one online to find out either.

the teacher recommends a particular janome one. it does look very good but she said it wasn't expensive. i can ask her next week if you like?

MaggieBeauLeo Mon 14-Sep-09 23:00:04

yes please. I am silly expecting a typewriter for 40 euro to work. I would be prepared to spend about 150£/E190

MaggieBeauLeo Mon 14-Sep-09 23:00:47

I mean sewing machine.

nevergoogledragonbutter Mon 14-Sep-09 23:04:06

ahah, that's where you've been going wrong!

MaggieBeauLeo Tue 15-Sep-09 09:50:25

he he!

If i do a wrong stitch, I put Tipp-Ex on it. Can't understand why the bag doesn't look better than it does!

nevergoogledragonbutter Tue 15-Sep-09 17:01:33

vaguely related

Hopefully Tue 15-Sep-09 21:50:08

I have just done this too! Finally got my sewing machine working, wound a bobbin on it and tried out the stitches that the machine does.

Oh, and finally started sewing the patchwork quilt I've had in my head for about 2 years!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now