Talk

Advanced search

/DIY- Has anyone painted over varnished wood with little fuss (with-out lots of sanding) and had a good result?

(9 Posts)
LittleMissBliss Mon 07-Sep-09 20:53:49

I've just picked up a rocking chair today and it's varnished wood and doesn't really go with anything else in the babies room. I really want to paint it white but DP says it will be too much work.

Does anyone know any quick/cheats way of painting over Varnish without resulting in rubbish finsih with the paint flaking off?

perdu Mon 07-Sep-09 20:59:50

I know it is tempting to paint it but it will only take half an hour to rub it over with fine sand paper...the finish will last ALOT longer than just painting over the varnish.

Honest.

LittleMissBliss Mon 07-Sep-09 20:59:56

laaa dee daaah.....

LittleMissBliss Mon 07-Sep-09 21:00:24

x-postblush was bumping!

LittleMissBliss Mon 07-Sep-09 21:02:06

I don't really mind sanding it but Dp is convinced that i have to basically take off all of the varnish with the sand paper, which will take ages! Can i just roughen it up so to speak so that the paint has something to cling to?

perdu Mon 07-Sep-09 21:07:45

yeah just rough it up so you get a 'key'/ something for the new paint to cling on to. It will get a few knocks as it is played with over the years to come.

Another option might be to have it dipped professionally to get all the varnish off. look up a 'stripper' in your yellow pages, might not be too expensive??

LittleMissBliss Mon 07-Sep-09 21:13:18

Good idea i will go and have a look at yell.com now! If i could afford it i would love someone to do the whole job for me. I'm not great at painting furniture. I tell myself that i'm going to enjoy it and loose the will to live after a couple of days of different coats.

GentleOtter Mon 07-Sep-09 21:15:38

There is a product by (Ray?) Munn that you paint over the varnish/paint and it acts as a key. I cannot remember it's name but have used it a few years ago and it was quite good.

Ray Munn site

LittleMissBliss Wed 09-Sep-09 11:32:55

Thanks for your replys, i have come down with a cold so have manaaged to convince my dad to do it for me! Result!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now