Talk

Advanced search

Quick! Help!! My Christmas could depend on this thread...

(11 Posts)
DottyDot Sun 30-Aug-09 19:07:32

I'm intending to make fingerless gloves for everyone this Christmas, so have started by trialling a pair for ds1.

Have started knitting this afternoon and am up to the following:

"K10, turn, cast on 3 stitches. Cont. on last 14 sts only for thumb"

OK, I know how to turn but how do I cast on 3 stitches? HELP!! I just don't understand it.

And even if I do work out how to cast on 3 stitches when I'm already knitting, there are more than 14 sts - so what's all this about the last 14 stitches??

If any of this makes sense please help 'cos I either solve it tonight (or tomorrow?!) or give up forever... hmm

Thanks - and a pair of knitted fingerless gloves to the most helpful MNer! grin

FlyMeToDunoon Sun 30-Aug-09 19:17:39

Well I haven't made fingerless gloves but have cast on mid row and as I recall I just used my thumb. Loop the wool round your thumb and knit it.
As for knitting the last 14 no idea.

FlyMeToDunoon Sun 30-Aug-09 19:18:56

Unless you just knit 14 back again turning at the end of those. What does next row say? Does it give you an indication of how it will proceed?

DottyDot Sun 30-Aug-09 19:19:41

Thanks! grin

I hate it when patterns aren't 100% clear and although I've knitted lots of jumpers I've never done gloves so haven't got a sense of what's supposed to happen (I'm apparently doing the thumb...)

So do you think I cast on with the wool that I'm already joined to, or cast on with new wool?

God I'm rubbish...

DottyDot Sun 30-Aug-09 19:22:17

OK, here's the whole bit I don't understand:

"K10, turn, cast on 3 sts

Cont on last 14 sts only for thumb, work 2 rows, thus ending with RS facing for next row.

Work in rib as before for 2 rows, cast off loosely in rib.

With RS facing, rejoin yarn to rem. sts. Knit up 3 sts from cast-n sts at base of thumb (what the hell does that mean??), then K to end (40 sts)

Work 9 rows, tuhs ending with RS facing for next row"

Sigh...

EleanoraBuntingCupcake Sun 30-Aug-09 19:28:08

you are casting on the 3 stitches to create the thumb bit and bridge between the thumb and finger. you then work only on the thumb bit and cast off. you then return the the main bit. does that make any sense?

FlyMeToDunoon Sun 30-Aug-09 19:28:43

Oh hang on if you cast on you tend to be left with a stitch on the other needle which would make 14 so that might sort that one out.
Then yes continue in same wool since it says you will join on anew later.
The 'knit up from base of thumb' is like when you add a collar or button band to a cardigan. You need to knit into the stitches which you cast on. Take a loop from the top of one and use it as a stitch to knit from.
How does that sound?

BornToFolk Sun 30-Aug-09 19:30:36

OK, k10, then CO 3 sts using the backward loop method (check out youtube or knittinghelp.com for videos but it's basically like Flyme says, you kind of loop it round your thumb). Yes, use the yarn that you are working with.

Then, you are working on the first 14 sts you come to. Ignore then rest of them for now, you'll come back to them. Knit the rows as instructed, then cast off.

With RS facing, rejoin yarn to rem. sts (tie your yarn on at the start of the row). Knit up 3 sts from cast-n sts at base of thumb - it means pick up stitches - do you know how to do this?, then K to end (40 sts)

Does that help at all?! If I could see if, I'm sure I could help more - tis really hard over the internet!

This sounds like a really nastily worded pattern! Where did you get it? For a nice, easy fingerless glove, I really like Knitty's Fetching

EleanoraBuntingCupcake Sun 30-Aug-09 19:34:49

yes i have some v. fetching fetchings!

FlyMeToDunoon Sun 30-Aug-09 19:37:21

I quite fancy a Fetching myself.
I also like the idea of making some for everyone for christmas.

DottyDot Sun 30-Aug-09 20:09:38

OK - I think I'm starting to get it, but in the mean time have polished off most of a bottle of wine so am slightly fuzzy..! blush

I'm debating whether to give it a go now or wait until tomorrow with a clear head! grin

Thanks all - I think it's clearer - will report back in 24 hours either with a knitted thumb (and possibly fingers) or with a angry face and ball of wriggly undone wool..!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now