Talk

Advanced search

help! anyone own a singer 9217 (drop in bobbin) machine? I can't wind the bobbin and i have no idea what i am doing wrong

(18 Posts)
overthemill Sat 29-Aug-09 11:28:21

its been a couple of years since i used it and my mind is a blank - following the instructions but thread still breaks all the time!

bran Sat 29-Aug-09 11:42:39

What are you winding from? It may be that it's not smooth enough coming off the reel. I have a net thing (a bit like a finer stretchier version of nets that oranges come in) that I pop over my reel of invisible thread so that it doesn't go loose and then snap taut all the time.

overthemill Sat 29-Aug-09 12:13:56

its a reel of thread put on teh spool thingy with a stopper on the top (does that make any sense at all?) - i'm trying to work out what i'm ding still

nickelbabe Sat 29-Aug-09 12:20:48

make sure the bobin holder (the bit in the machine) is in the right position before you start.
and make sure the tension on the bobbin case (the bit you put the bobbin in) is right: you should be able to pull it through without it feeling like you're pulling it.

last time i used a singer it was a treadle machine so bear with me if i've got the wrong end of the stick with the bobbin....
grin

morningpaper Sat 29-Aug-09 12:22:37

Do you need the stopper on the top? The thread should run smoothly with no pressure - can you work out what bit is causing the tension in the incoming thread?

overthemill Sat 29-Aug-09 12:25:48

its a reel of thread put on teh spool thingy with a stopper on the top (does that make any sense at all?) - i'm trying to work out what i'm ding still

overthemill Sat 29-Aug-09 12:28:08

uh oh that went wrong

the machine is one where you thread the needle and keep the bobbin in the machine as if you were sewing and you hook the thread round an extra bit and then start winding. it is an odd design. but i can sew ok with good tension. what i cannot do is get the machine to wind the bobbin without it breaking constantly. so far as i can understand i'm following the instructions and my mate who came to help cantt do it either!!

morningpaper Sat 29-Aug-09 12:34:45

If you pull the thread from the needle, is it running smoothly?

I would guess that something has happened - either you've got the thread looped over the wrong bit, or it's slipped out of the tensioner, or you are going back-to-front with the thread somewhere

Are you using the right sort of thread? Have you tried a different type of cotton?

overthemill Sat 29-Aug-09 13:29:26

all great questions mp, but i've tried them all!

MamaG Sat 29-Aug-09 13:33:47

<sings> wiiiiiiind the bobbin up, wiiiiiiiiind the bobbin up, pull, pull, clap clap clap

morningpaper Sat 29-Aug-09 13:35:33

Have you tried singing Wind The Bobbin up?

Hae you asked your mum?

bran Sat 29-Aug-09 13:52:11

Do you have a friend nearby with a machine? You could just pop over to her with your thread and a couple of bobbins and load them up. It's not a proper solution but at least you'll be able to keep sewing.

grin at Wind the Bobbin up.

overthemill Sat 29-Aug-09 13:53:03

i did find videos on utube of wind teh bobbin up - various cute school classes but no instructions.
me mums dead and anyway she was rubbish at sewing...

overthemill Sat 29-Aug-09 13:53:40

i think bran's solution is the one! v annoying

cathrinetta Sun 30-Aug-09 01:58:26

You need to put the spool of thread on the post and then put the stopper on. Thread the machine following the arrows and the thread the needle through the front.

Once you've threaded the needle take your thread and loop it over the screw with rubber lining to the back left of the needle.

Pull it from under the screw and then back and over the top of the rubber. Hold the thread in place.

With your bobbin place and the sewing plate open push the plate against the red button that opens the plate. Do not shut the plate complete.

Holding the thread in place with the sewing plate open, press your presser foot down and run the machine until the bobbin is full. Once the bobbin is full shut the plate. Shutting the plate will cut the thread. With the needle in the up position pull the excess thread out and cut. You should have a thread coming up from the bobbin and the thread through the needle. Pull your threads tto the back of the machine and begin sewing.

overthemill Mon 31-Aug-09 11:55:23

cathrinetta
you sound like you know what you are talking about!
I have done all of this and it still snaps every time - any other suggestions? I have done this around 20 times now, my mate has too nad my dd. All having the same problem., following the booklet's directions which are the same as yours! Help!!

Size6Feet Thu 08-Oct-09 00:45:24

If you have tried EVERything and the thread still breaks it may be the thread itself. If it is old or you have had it stored for a long time it may just be past its best. (Reels of thread do not keep forever - they do degrade, especially if they are natural).
If you pull it and it breaks easily then bin iit or keep it for tacking.

wifeofdoom Thu 08-Oct-09 20:42:01

I have an old singer but not the same as yours - I have the same problem when I use cheap thread, universal bobbins, slightly bent needle, or have lint around the hook area. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now