Talk

Advanced search

DS1 wants to paint something he made from air-drying clay

(6 Posts)
jsgirl Sun 16-Aug-09 12:14:53

I am completely rubbish at most arts and crafts activities. Anything more complicated than playdough and I'm hopeless.

Anyway, a few weeks ago we (ie DH) let DS1 buy a huge tub of air-drying clay from the Early Learning Centre. I ended up helping DS1 make something - a dish thing for DH to put on his bedside table and put his change into each night. DS1 carved DAD into it and his initials.

It eventually dried and DS1 now wants to paint it. Do we need a particular type of paint please, preferably something that will allow the initials to show through. He wants to do it in blue and white as DH is Scottish.

Thanks for any help.

tillyfernackerpants Sun 16-Aug-09 13:13:53

I think you should just be able to use poster paints. Otherwise acrylic paint would do the job as well.

Hth

TheProfiteroleThief Sun 16-Aug-09 13:40:40

Poster paint is fine, but a coating of pva glue after it has dried will give a better finish - slightly glossy and stronger to avoid flakiness.

Not sure your dh should use it for change though - it will chip and scratch this masterpiece

jsgirl Sun 16-Aug-09 15:12:21

Thanks for your help.

PVA glue and poster paints it is then. Would some varnish help to protect it? (DH's bedside table - in fact his side of the room - is immaculate in comparison to mine. I want this dish to stay there as long as possible. grin Also, because DS1 made it and it's special. wink

seeker Sun 16-Aug-09 15:27:53

We've used acrylic paints then a couple of coats of acrylic varnish. That should be sturdy enough for change. But you must make sure the thing is really really dry before you varnish it or it'll go cloudy looking.

jsgirl Sun 16-Aug-09 15:54:06

Thanks. Will do that. Slightly looking forward to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now