Talk

Advanced search

What can I do with all my remnants of knitting wool?

(16 Posts)
tiredandgrumpy Wed 12-Aug-09 12:59:24

I know maybe I should consider doing something crafty, but spare time is short, so really am looking for suggestions as to where I can donate it. Schools are closed (obviously) at the moment, but if I have a clear out right now, would like to be able to get it out of the house. What do other people do?

AmazingBouncingFerret Wed 12-Aug-09 13:01:02

Oh, I was going to say crochet a nice throw! Im not sure if charity shops would want them?

MamaKaty Wed 12-Aug-09 13:02:45

Offer it to any play group or kids club that is running a summer scheme, etc.
Failing that you could offer it to your local charity shop.
Well done you for not throwing it out smile

flier Wed 12-Aug-09 13:05:13

My aunt knits blankets for third world countries with donated wool - is there anywhere/one near you that does this?

BlueChampagne Wed 12-Aug-09 13:11:19

Offer them on Freecycle, or keep an eye out for posts requesting wool - you might find someone with more time than you who knits for charity. Every now and again I empty out my knitting bag this way.

Some neonatal units offer patterns for prems - you could also contact the hospital and see if they can help.

DutchOma Wed 12-Aug-09 15:15:56

Charity shops would bite your arm off for wool. ARavelry friend of mine had a bag a metre high with pure Patons and Baldwin wool and was very happy with it.
I work in a charity shop and even small remnants of wool are sold very quickly.
Don't just leave it on the doorstep though.

JackBauer Thu 20-Aug-09 10:00:43

I get a lot of my wool from the charity shop, they get loads and it always goes really quickly.

QuintessentialShadows Thu 20-Aug-09 10:04:25

Knit a square or a rectangle, put it on a hot wash so the wool tightens and fluffs (dont know what it is called) and then you have something nice and warm to sit on for chilly days enjoying automn/winter sun in the park.

warthog Mon 24-Aug-09 16:33:56

knit nappyaddict's request

vInTaGeVioLeT Sat 29-Aug-09 23:48:54

quintessentialshadows - that is called felting smile

i'd take it to a day center for old people or people with learning difficulties for occupational therepy sessions.

skymoo Sun 30-Aug-09 00:10:30

i was in a shop the other day, which sold 'knitted' sandwiches, hot dogs, oreos, cupcakes etc...maybe do that, and offer to playgroup or to a charity shop/

mummylin2495 Mon 31-Aug-09 12:08:10

i actually made a rug from remnants of wool.everyone who came into my house was asked to do a little bit of it[ even the foreign students i had ] and its now at the end of my bed.I have to admit it took a long time as i only do things when im in the mood for it ,but it does look nice now its finished.

TinyPawz Mon 31-Aug-09 13:07:05

Knit or crochet the remnants into squares to make a blanket

I have this book, chroceting and this knitting and think they are fab.

TinyPawz Mon 31-Aug-09 13:08:08

crocheting!!

JoInScotland Thu 17-Sep-09 17:11:48

I volunteer at Barnardo's and we get oddments of wool donated all the time. They sell quickly! People use them for knitting squares, etc. Any charity shop would take them, I think.

lavenderkate Thu 24-Sep-09 18:25:59

Most SCIBU units at hospitals have friends who knit tiny baby hats for the preemies.

I know an old dear who spends all her spare time knitting bed socks for other old dears in hospital.Sadly she is now in herself or I would give you details.
Geriatric ward might be able to tell you of folk like her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now