Talk

Advanced search

knitting question from my mum - all Greek to me!!

(7 Posts)
LetThemEatCake Sun 09-Aug-09 11:57:24

can anyone help?

I would love to make some of the flowers that you emailed me this pattern for but still have no idea what RYC is - it is an unknown yarn here.

Looking at eBay the other day, I came across what seems to be the answer - ends of sari silk woven into strands to knit with. They are available from India and a couple of suppliers here. However, it is quite expensive and I don't want to buy if it is the wrong thing.

Do you think you could find out for me and also if there are stockists in the London area? The colours on eBay are wonderful but it might be best to actually see them first.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Sun 09-Aug-09 12:27:27

The RY stands for Rowan Yarns (it's the brand name) the C I think is their classics range.

this place sells some of it but some good wool shops will go too

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Sun 09-Aug-09 12:30:24

And here

And I would love some of thos little flowers myself actually they are lovely.

DutchOma Sun 09-Aug-09 15:05:50

There is this website as well, just googled RYC Soft tweed
here
I don't think what you describe is right at all.
You can maybe look at the Rowan Yarn that is on offer and see what the tension is. This is usually expressed as a little square (usually 10x10 cm) with knitting needles through it and two sets of numbers: one on the bottom and one at the side. This means that when you cast on the number of stitches at the bottom and stocking stitch (1 row plain, 1 row purl) the number of rows at the side you get a square of 10x10 cm. So if you match the tension of the RYC with another ball of yarn you should get the same effect.
Having said that, I think you can do it with any double knitting yarn and a set of No 4 knitting pins and you wil lget a lovely result.

LetThemEatCake Mon 10-Aug-09 16:20:44

thank so much - from me and from my mum smile

Ineedacleaner - you should definitely make some, I have seen them for sale in Brighton for £20 a pop!!! shock

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Mon 10-Aug-09 17:43:29

shock £20 a flower.
My god i'll be making some of those, do you think they would sell on ebay?

EachPeachPearMum Mon 10-Aug-09 19:36:59

Golly! How good is that yarndex site? CAn't believe I didn't know about it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now