Talk

Advanced search

Ok, So my Mum bought me a sewing machine for my birthday!

(7 Posts)
DuchessOfRubbish Fri 07-Aug-09 21:09:03

And I don't know what to do with it!

She has one, and I am forever asking her to do small jobs like alterations etc. I mentioned I would like one, so it was a surprise! I have got to grips with threading it and have managed to sew two pieces of scrap material together! (major achievement for me as I bummed textiles in school!)

I have grand ideas of what I would like to do, but first I need some basic and easy projects to get me started and confident. Mum also got me a basic sewing kit from the local haberdashers with pretty much all the essentials I need to get started.

Are there any good websites out there for beginners? What would be a good small project to start with? I don't want the machine to gather dust.

Thanks in advance

MummyElk Fri 07-Aug-09 21:14:51

there are some lovely books around which can help you do some simple projects, i quite like this one

Also, bit different cos yours is new but my mum gave me an older one so i got a lovely man round to service it (no phnar phnar intended!! wink) and he showed me how to use it properly.. have a look in yellow pages?

Also, lots of little courses go on in all sorts of random places like church halls and colleges... Or you could join a local sewing group, people love to help and advise..

I'd say, start simple and see how you go. I found it INCREDIBLY hard to sew a simple straight line, ridiculous i know but still. and remember practice makes perfect!

DuchessOfRubbish Fri 07-Aug-09 21:21:45

Thanks MummyElk. I also found straight line sewing hard! I thought it was just me. I really would love to get to grips with it. Thanks for the link. Will have a look at that book. It looks Funky!

snickersnack Fri 07-Aug-09 21:31:48

Sewing For Dummies isn't bad if you want a book - I pretty much taught myself from that. And YouTube is good for tutorials.

Are you near London? Peter Jones does great one day courses that teach you how to use a machine and make something simple.

You could start with cushion covers. Hard to go wrong with a cushion cover. I started with a dress for dd complete with interfacing and sleeves. I wouldn't recommend it, but she can (just about) go out in it, so it's amazing what you can get away with!!!

Umlellala Fri 07-Aug-09 21:32:59

Bags are great to start with.

Tote bag (two squares and a strap) or a drawstring one.

I made dd a shift dress too (front and back sewn together), though too messy to wear out - it did actually 'work' iykwim.

Def practise, practise, practise.

DutchOma Fri 07-Aug-09 22:16:24

If you find sewing in a straight line hard, try locating the lines to the right of your sewing foot and guide your material over that. That should give you a straight line.

DuchessOfRubbish Sat 08-Aug-09 11:16:47

Brilliant! I am sew blush greatful for the replies. Snickersnack No..Nowhere near London.. I am a South Wales Valleys girl.

Umlellala Did you get a pattern for the dress, or just make it blind? I have a 9 month old DD, so my thinking is for stuff for her. A drawstring bag sounds good too! I actually cocked one of those up in school (don't ask) so it would be good to absolve myself and make one again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now