Talk

Advanced search

Horseymum, can I ask another sewing question please?

(7 Posts)
LovingtheSilverFox Wed 05-Aug-09 14:01:52

Hi, you suggested I make some trousers for DTs. My Mum has very kindly offered her skills, but she has never made anything without a pattern. So what is the best way for us to take a pattern from some trousers that fit? Do we have to unpick them, or is there another way?

CharCharGabor Wed 05-Aug-09 14:07:24

Not Horseymum, but have made a few pairs of trousers for DD. What I do is get a pair of trousers which fit well and fold them in half, making such to pull out the crotch points. Then draw round them leaving seam allowances. HTH smile

LovingtheSilverFox Wed 05-Aug-09 14:14:36

Thanks CharChar! Very novice question follows......do I drawn round them exactly and then draw another line for the seam? And how much seam should I allow?

This is bearing in mind I have no idea what I am going to make them from yet!!

CharCharGabor Wed 05-Aug-09 21:57:30

Sorry, forgot I posted! blush You want about a quarter inch seam allowance but I estimate and draw with seam and mine aren't too bad! grin You can add seam allowances after though if you want. Just make sure you leave enough at the top to fold over and thread elastic through.

LovingtheSilverFox Fri 07-Aug-09 22:38:20

Thanks. I might give it a go at the weekend if I am brave enough have enough time!

WesternBelle Fri 07-Aug-09 22:52:52

Hmm, its not as simple as that unless you are doing joggers with elastic in the waist. If so, fine but bear in mind you will need to factor in enough fabric at the waist to fold over creating a channel for elastic.

if you are thinking buttons/zip trousers then drawing round trousers won't work at all.

If your Mum can make from patterns - why not just buy a pattern?! This sitehere has got loads of patterns to browse and buy online.

Your mum can run up a pair in scrap fabric to check fit first if necessary. Drawing round clothes seems like a good idea but only if you are VERY skilled does it turn out right.

WesternBelle Fri 07-Aug-09 22:54:12

X posts!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now