Talk

Advanced search

Knitters - what are your needles of choice?

(15 Posts)
zisforzebra Sat 01-Aug-09 00:01:42

I mostly use bamboo because they are lighter and I find the stitches don't slide clean off the needle when I'm distracted by fighty children! smile

I've seen Lantern Moon ebony ones recently though and really fancy a pair. Anyone got any experience of these?

What are your favourites?

TeenyTinyToria Sat 01-Aug-09 00:17:33

I just use standard aluminium ones, bamboo ones feel weird to me, and I can't knit as fast because there is more friction.

ohfuschia Sat 01-Aug-09 00:22:34

I was going to say bamboo, but now I've gone on the Lantern Moon site they look very tempting (could replace my stationery fetish with knitting needles - I am v sad blush)

DutchOma Sat 01-Aug-09 08:44:02

I don't like bamboo for exactly the same reason as Toria. I mainly use very long plastic needles (40 cm) which I can clutch under one arm. I have some double pointed steel needles which are wonderful because they don't bend.

HensMum Sat 01-Aug-09 08:54:47

Bamboo but I mostly use aluminium straights as I have loads of those.

DPNs have to be bamboo though, can't stand the clinking noise that aluminium DPNs make!

FlyingDuck Sat 01-Aug-09 09:28:57

It depends what I'm knitting really - if the yarn is at all slippery, I much prefer bamboo as it does seem to keep the stitches on better. However, if I'm knitting with cotton, it has to be aluminium, as otherwise I'm really slow. Round needles are far more practical for me to use (they don't take up as much elbow room on buses and trains) and I'm seriously contemplating investing in a set of lovely Addi Clicks. One day...

zisforzebra Sat 01-Aug-09 11:14:18

Ohfuschia - That's not sad at all. I love stationery too. smile

Hensmum - I know what you mean about DPNs. I keep meaning to get some bamboo ones (only have steel at the moment) because I get self conscious about the noise if I'm knitting on the bus (ridiculous really given all the MP3 noise you can hear leaking out of headphones!)

Flyingduck - Ooh, I don't think I've seen Addi Clicks, will be checking them out later! smile

KristinasMamma Sat 08-Aug-09 17:18:01

Like FlyingDuck I love circular needles actually as they take up less room and they weigh much less when you have the knitting on them and the piece is getting bigger and thus heavier. Plus I fly with work quite a lot and I have never had a problem going through security with circulars. On the whole I just use Pony aluminium ones as I think they are good value and good quality, but have also recently treated myself to one set of Addi Turbo needles that are really lovely!

DaisymooSteiner Sun 09-Aug-09 18:25:26

I've got a few pairs of Knit Picks stainless steel ones, and they're just lurverly. I do like to knit with my Grandma's old aluminium ones for sentimental reasons from time to time.

MamaGoblin Sun 09-Aug-09 19:04:51

It depends on how grippy or slippy the yarn is - I use aluminium ones for most knitting (different brands, often cheapy Prym or Pony) but bamboo or wood (Birch) for slippery yarn or when it's really basic knitting and I want to move fast! I have some Addi turbo circs that are good, but currently stalled on a large Colinette throw (which was the wrong choice entirely, since the yarns in that are horribly slippy and Addi turbos are very very shiny and fast!).

DPNs - I have some lovely KnitPicks that are slowish, but that's just as well, since I'm a bit of a sock newbie. I did discover how lovely and zippy it is to work with old-fashioned steel DPNs and sock yarn though, but you have to be so careful that the stitches don't fall off.

My ambition is to own a pair of Signature needles, but I'm nowhere near good enough to deserve them! grin

MamaGoblin Sun 09-Aug-09 19:06:12

Sorry, that bit about the bamboo didn't make sense, did it? blush I use shiny metal ones when it's basic knitting and I want speed, I meant.

PerArduaAdNauseum Sun 09-Aug-09 19:10:28

Ooh... Lantern Moon... Only an occasional knitter, but they do a lovely crochet hook. But tbh, they really only work well with pure wool - cotton and silk seems to snag too much for speed, whereas with the oil from the wool you get a lovely smooth action. I'm about to post something that combines knitting and lube in the same sentence so I'll leave now shock

zisforzebra Sun 09-Aug-09 22:44:40

PerAdua- I don't think I've ever seen a situation that brings those two words together - good work! grin

KristinasMamma - How strange that circulars should be allowed through security. It's great that they are but surely you could do just as much damage to someone with them if you were inclined to.

Daisy - I have some of my gran's old crochet hooks (and her bread tins) and it's really lovely using them. It's great to be able to use something she used to use especially since she had about 6 attempts at teaching me crochet and I ended up learning from a book!

MamaGoblin - Off to look at Signature needles now! grin

shigella92 Fri 14-Aug-09 14:53:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

weegiemum Fri 14-Aug-09 14:58:37

I always use my Gran's old needles (was given them when she died) - metal ones, in every size from thinner than I would ever use (I'm not really into knitting cobwebby shawls) to waaaaay too fat for anything.

I don't like Bamboo - I can't go fast enough on it and even dd (9) complained that it was snaggy.

I might replace some of my Gran's ones if I need tobut not her cable needles - they are fabulous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now