Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Curtains. How hard to make your own?

(8 Posts)
snickersnack Sat 18-Jul-09 23:31:06

I need a pair of curtains for dd's room. Was all set to order some from John Lewis but then realised I might be able to make them myself but have no idea where to start.

I have a sewing machine and am borderline competent to use it. Have made various items of clothing - would curtains be easier or harder? What would I need? It wouldn't need to have a fancy top as there's a pelmet up already.

Final question on lining - I have a feeling blackout lining would be harder to work with than ordinary lining? Is that true? She doesn't really need full blackout effect these days so I could get away with a thick lining if needed.

shonaspurtle Sat 18-Jul-09 23:34:31

I've never made them with an attached lining. My mum always reckoned better to make the linings separately so that they could go in the washing machine.

It's very, very easy - just straight-line sewing. You can buy ruffle tape for curtains and narrower tape for linings if you want to make them separately and then attach curtain hoops.

Alternatively you can make tab tops which is also easy and just thread straight onto the pole.

If I can do it anyone can...

littlelamb Sat 18-Jul-09 23:35:01

Easy peasy. If you have a pair of curtains already just unpick the lining, reuse the tracking and all you have to do is sew it all together. I made a pair of curtains and am generally quite, er, challenged with a sewing machine, but it was a doddle, the fabric is the perfect for dd's room, and it cost about a tenner

gigglewitch Sat 18-Jul-09 23:35:35

absolute doddle. measure up and go for it smile

trellism Sat 18-Jul-09 23:35:44

You need header tape - I always forget that. Measure everything at least three times and double check that they are the right length before cutting anything.

Curtains are much easier than clothes, as it's all straight lines. My top tip is to buy a pattern with checks in it because it makes it miles easier to sew straight seams and hems.

www.channel4.com/4homes/design-style/how-to-guides/how-to-make-lined-curtains-fast-08-06-18_p_1.html

might also help.

snickersnack Sat 18-Jul-09 23:45:22

Ok, this is all very helpful. We don't have any curtains in the house ( all blinds) so am struggling to remember what curtains look like blush. Will go for separate linings I think - vaguely remember my mum saying something similar!

Am sure the nice people in John Lewis can help with tape etc. Will report back...

gigglewitch Sun 19-Jul-09 01:02:02

ps - a tip, cut them 'long' and turn an extra loose hem - easy to undo and not pressed into place, for after the first time you wash them because IME they always go up a bit. I'm only talking a spare inch or inch and a half, but well worth doing smile

JoInScotland Thu 17-Sep-09 17:22:59

I'll bet your local library has a book about general sewing (they always seem to have a chapter about curtains in there) or even a dedicated book about soft furnishings and curtains. I'm going to line some curtains we bought off Ebay for the nursery, but also make some blackout curtains as well, in a Roman-blind type arrangement.

You can sometimes find curtain tape in the charity shops, the ones that have a little haberdashery section. Or you might find some curtains there, that you could get the header tape off of!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now