Talk

Advanced search

Homemade Rub-down Transfers

(14 Posts)
SoupDragon Fri 20-May-05 10:55:16

I've found my A4 acetate sheets and tried this trick from that Crafty Cheats freebie magazine thingy and it works!! Like magic! I couldn't believe it.

Create your transfer in something like Word, Publisher, Powerpoint, Photoshop etc.

Put an acetate sheet in your printer and print your transfer - use BEST quality and remember to choose MIRROR IMAGE if it's important for your design to be the right way round.

Let it dry a bit (although I didn't bother and it still worked) and do NOT touch the print because it will come off.

Put the sheet ink side down on your card/whatever and rub the back with a lolly stick (or anything similar really) and remove the acetate. Voila!

You can then rub the acetate clean and use it again.

tarantula Fri 20-May-05 10:58:36

Oh that sounds good might have to try that I know Ive got soem acetate lurking somewhere.

SoupDragon Fri 20-May-05 10:59:16

I found mine in the loft! Apparently a "glossy page protector" works too but I have no idea what that is.

Jayzmummy Fri 20-May-05 11:33:03

Thanks for that....will have a play tonight.....also having a go at printing on ribbon....bet I get in a mess!!!!

SoupDragon Fri 20-May-05 12:27:14

You have to wipe the remaining ink off with something wet btw. It doesn't seem to just brush off.

champs Fri 20-May-05 14:05:33

thanks!! will try later!!

Carolinett Fri 20-May-05 15:09:06

Thats a great idea to use on card off cuts that would go in the printer. Does it work on pearlised & glitter card?
If you don't know I'll try it when I get home and let you know.

hunkermunker Fri 20-May-05 15:18:41

"with something wet" - have you just found yet another use for baby wipes?

SoupDragon Fri 20-May-05 15:33:47

I don't think babywipes would work as they'd leave a film of lotiony stuff behind. I, er, just licked the corner of a clean tea towel I had to hand

Haven't tried to see if the ink transfers to pearlised paper - I would imagine it may not work well on some smooth papers for the same reason it makes a transfer on glossy acetate.

Jayzmummy - I wonder if you could print on acetate and then rub down onto ribbon...?

champs Sat 21-May-05 14:15:11

lol soupy... special dragon spit!!

SoupDragon Sat 21-May-05 16:26:37

Do you think that OHP slides are cheaper than buying acetate from a craft shop? (obviously mine are because they were <<ahem>> free, but I was wondering if office supply places would be a good source)

champs Sat 21-May-05 19:10:07

could be, best to do a quick comparison. although theyr'e quiet pricey too so not really helping you am I...
on a more helpfull note, I brought 100 sheets for £14.90 last year worked out rounded uo to 15p a sheet which was the best price I could find at the time.

SoupDragon Sun 22-May-05 09:56:53

Found some for £10 for 100 sheets (plus P&P I guess) and discovered that the colour ink jet slides I've got cost over £30 for 100. Eeek! Stil, made some lovely coloured acetate flowers

The rub down transfers don't work so well on textured paper btw. I went oer the text with a glittery gel pen and it looked fine though.

champs Sun 22-May-05 21:56:36

lol!! it all adds up huh
keep meaning to get me acetate out and do some stuff!! I'm gonna take a page out of dingle and others and make up a batch of cards..... soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now