Talk

Advanced search

Oooooooooh, I have just made candles with 10% oils and they really are as good as Diptyque/Jo Malone

(425 Posts)
LaurieFairyCake Fri 10-Jul-09 17:21:34

First time I've ever made candles and I wanted really smelly ones as I like dead posh ones smile

I made Amber and Lavender (my fave Jo Malone fragrance) and Lime and Fig.

I used soy wax so environmentally friendly and no paraffin and bought tea cups from charity shops so no waste, the ones I've made are actually giant french pottery cups that I got today.

The french cups worked out at £5.40 each as none of the stuff I bought was cheap. Not cheap as chips and if you used paraffin and cheap oils you could make it a lot cheaper. But one heck of a lot cheaper than posh candles.

Dead chuffed me and my home smells lovely.

I have another 15 oils to try - guess what everyone is getting for Christmas this year wink

mummyeme Sun 09-Apr-17 09:30:23

Going to make some of these myself now. Exciting smile

Ohyesiam Fri 03-Feb-17 21:25:35

Place marking

seafoodeatit Sun 22-Jan-17 21:44:42

I've been reading this thread all day when the kids would let me, I'm really excited to make some candles!

sun and sand I saw mentioned back, one of my favorite smells if anyone has been able to recreate it! I'm about to have a trawl of the internet to see if anyone has create anything similar to diptyqye - a girl can hope!

Chicinwellies Mon 16-Jan-17 21:46:06

Have a look on the Taking the Wick forum, lots of hints and tips there . Suppliers wise go to Full Moons Cauldron or David Constable. Good luck.

Sweetpea302 Thu 29-Dec-16 08:50:35

Does anyone know if there are any materials that you shouldn't make candles in? Terracotta etc?

WelshMoth Thu 29-Dec-16 08:31:07

Does anyone here have a list of suppliers they use? I'm certain I found someone who sold soya wax for £3.57 per kilo. I can't find anyone cheaper than £6.36 (ish) now!

CointreauVersial Sun 11-Dec-16 16:33:06

Candle-making is still on my "must-have-a-go" list. I have a stock of containers ready and waiting. Unfortunately, I can't stop buying candles. blush

luckiestgirl Mon 21-Nov-16 16:39:33

foximus I just used any fragrance oils (some smelt nicer than others admittedly) and then smaller amounts of essential oils.

Some candles I made with just essential oils and no fragrance oils and they did smell amazing but they are expensive to make. Essential oil is much more expensive than fragrance oil.

luckiestgirl Mon 21-Nov-16 16:36:34

slightlypeeved I looked around charity shops for tumbler type glasses. The squarer ones work best because round ones tend to have a difference of thickness of glass at the bottom and that made my wax come away from the sides during drying in some places and not others.

foximusprime1 Mon 07-Nov-16 14:37:34

can someone tell me which oils to buy, I'm so confused and don't want to buy the wrong type of oil. thanks so much

Chicinwellies Wed 26-Oct-16 22:54:00

Colorlites (coloured bottles), Google them.
Brilliant supplier, also look at candle Shack and David constables site

slightlypeevedwombat Wed 26-Oct-16 20:04:27

Just ordered a load of wax and scents

But.. I want nice medium size glass/tins to put them in..
Not too expensive (under £1 each if possible)

Any suggestions?

Chicinwellies Tue 11-Oct-16 22:36:40

Funny, I've also just tried some votives with the jasmine and mint and it burns really well, using about 8% oil. Candle Shack have some fab new scents to try too.

NotAMammy Tue 11-Oct-16 21:13:52

I couldn't see them on my computer either cauliwobbles, I'm wonder if they expire?

cauliwobbles Tue 11-Oct-16 16:55:49

How do you view profile pics on phone? I really want to see how they look!

QuizteamBleakley Tue 11-Oct-16 16:50:53

Shamelessly following this. Thanks OP for a thread that's stood the test of time!

Coconutty Sat 08-Oct-16 22:25:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FormerlyCatherineDeB Sat 08-Oct-16 22:04:14

Free postage is fab and you can buy small enough quantities to try them out. I bought a massive white jasmine and mint because that really is a favourite of mine but tried earl grey and another one I can't remember the name of this time.

NotAMammy Sat 08-Oct-16 21:58:43

Ooooh and they are a very nice entry price point! Thanks!

FormerlyCatherineDeB Sat 08-Oct-16 21:45:49

I love fresh skin for oils, their white jasmine and mint is a dead ringer for the Jo Malone candle. In fact I made two yesterday and have them burning now.

NotAMammy Sat 08-Oct-16 21:24:17

Where are people getting their oils from please? I tried a few links on here but they are either dead or same to name their oils something like 'atlantic breeze' with no proper descriptors?

Think I might try my hand at making some for Christmas.

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Mon 05-Sep-16 07:37:23

brew

Chicinwellies Mon 05-Sep-16 07:33:27

How is everyone getting on with their candle making?!

Chicinwellies Fri 12-Aug-16 23:06:38

Does anyone know of a container supplier that can add logos / artwork (ie not just me sticking on a sticker)?

hooliodancer Sat 09-Jul-16 13:42:24

I would love to make candles that smell like Diptique Feu Dr Bois as I am obsessed!

Has anyone found an oil that has the wood smoke smell?

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now