Talk

Advanced search

So, Ds wants me to knit a blanket for him!

(26 Posts)
Alambil Thu 09-Jul-09 13:12:55

I picked up a pair of size 10mm needles yesterday for the first time ever.

I've now knitted (all knit stitch) 3 inches long, 30 stitches on the needle.... in huge fat chunky wool.

It looks awful if I do say so myself! Although there is only one dodgey stitch on one of the edges; the rest is just tension issues

My plan: to make lots of squares and attach them together somehow at the end

Will that work?

Seeline Thu 09-Jul-09 13:15:20

Yes - that would be fine. How about different coloured squares, and then sewing them together with another bright colour wool to make it a feature?

Alambil Thu 09-Jul-09 13:20:00

yes, that is what I have planned - the only problem is, the wool I chose only comes in boring colours but ds liked the mottled green (the rest only comes in cream, mottled cream, denim type blues and brown)

Can I use different brands of chunky wool?

frAKKINPannikin Thu 09-Jul-09 13:29:27

What brand wool are you using?

I suspect it's the same that I made a blanket for DH2B out of from the weight/colour description so based on my experience it will work.

How advanced a knitter are you? Can you do rib (knit 2, purl 2), moss stitch or cabling? The wool I think you're using shows different patterns/textures beautifully if you can.

I couldn't find anything which went exactly with the weight but I am a perfectionist so possibly not the most reliable peson to ask!

Alambil Thu 09-Jul-09 13:42:47

the wool is 100g Sirdar denim ultra - mega chunky with cotton and wool. I got it because you can machine wash it, which I thought was handy for a blanket!

my experience? knitting 3 inches long of 30 stitches wink

I literally got the wool and started last night - I used a video online to show me cast-on and knit and away I've gone

I could learn purling in the same way, I guess... but is it not too late to start on this square? Or do you mean for various squares to add texture?

I looked at mossing last night - I rekon I could do that too in time... maybe once I've got the hang of knitting and purling.

Does it matter that the tension is all over the place? blush

SOLOisMeredithGrey Thu 09-Jul-09 13:51:44

Oooh! Lewis, you clever thing! Don't worry about the tension, just do what you're doing. It's your first time and the blanket will have character and be treasured by Ds and by you

Alambil Thu 09-Jul-09 14:00:10

I shall take a photo when the first square is finished!

Alambil Thu 09-Jul-09 14:41:29

ok I've just looked at it and think it's too wide .... so can I unpick it and start again? (or is it unravel?)

jumpingbeans Thu 09-Jul-09 14:44:42

no, don't unpick it, just cast it off,keep it and sew it in the blanket somewhere, its your first " Bit"

Alambil Thu 09-Jul-09 14:46:38

ah, yes, good idea.... I wonder if I could fit it in though; it's a rectangle and not a square... hmmmm....

I could do a higgeldy piggeldy blanket instead of regimented squares grin

jumpingbeans Thu 09-Jul-09 14:49:07

you could fit it in, just overlap two squares with it, if it is your first time knitting, you will end up with a few strange shapes before your done, but that makes it special

jumpingbeans Thu 09-Jul-09 14:50:33

i liked to crochet squares - so much quicker

Alambil Thu 09-Jul-09 14:57:20

rofl @ strange shapes!!

I will master the cast-off tonight and start again grin

frAKKINPannikin Thu 09-Jul-09 21:18:06

Oh do higgeldy piggeldy.

That was the wool I used. Different textures look lovely and so will different shapes - DH2Bs is rather regimented squares in lots of different textures.

Happy knitting!

DutchOma Fri 10-Jul-09 15:58:34

You clever thing. Just keep going and adding 'shapes' In the end you will get a rectangular blanket, which is the shape of most blankets smile

Alambil Fri 10-Jul-09 19:42:30

I have done 2 inches of the new square - it is a much better size, with wonky tension still lol...

It will all add to the character!

ButtercupWafflehead Fri 10-Jul-09 20:22:13

Hi Lewisfan, have just found this thread and wanted to add a wee bit of advice...

Give them a wash before sewing them together - in case they shrink at different rates!

Hope it goes well!

Alambil Fri 10-Jul-09 20:32:56

oh now that is good advice!! thanks

ButtercupWafflehead Fri 10-Jul-09 20:47:25

Where's the photo, then?

I still feel absurdly proud of myself when something is finished, and make everyone admire it for hours!

Alambil Sat 11-Jul-09 01:14:42

oh, my camera is at my folks - will reclaim it tomorrow and do the deed grin

DutchOma Sat 11-Jul-09 09:09:49

You just MUST join Ravelry and the Mumsknitters thread. It has been dead (almost) for weeks and we can do with some success stories.
I'm just so impressed that you taught yourself so quickly.

Alambil Sun 12-Jul-09 00:33:30

well, I just copied the video... for all I know it's totally back-to-front LOL!

ButtercupWafflehead Mon 10-Aug-09 13:15:16

Lewis, I have just realised that the 'wash before stitching' advice is supposed to be for fabric.

I don't know anything about knitting blankets, please ignore me!

lydiathetattooedlady Tue 11-Aug-09 21:42:34

hi, just a quick one to say that the denim ultra is the same tension as the sridar big softy and rowan big wool. rowan big wool is handwash only though! you an get nice colours in the sirdar big softy though! (used to own wool shop!)

tillyfernackerpants Thu 13-Aug-09 17:31:02

Lewis, I'm another self-taught knitter, well done! I haven't tried blanket squares though, I've started with a bag (wonders if overreaching slightly!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now