Talk

Advanced search

Oil paint on canvas....????

(4 Posts)
Lizzylou Wed 18-May-05 09:41:14

I have just painted 3 box canvases for DS's room (animals to fit in with jungle theme), I used oil paints, do I need to varnish them? If so, what type of varnish??
I am really pleased with them, they are my first efforts at this type of thing and don't want to ruin them!!!

Lizzylou Thu 19-May-05 10:40:47

Bump, anyone?????

ninah Thu 19-May-05 13:20:21

Yes, you should varnish them to protect them. But you must leave them to dry thoroughly first, and I mean weeks/months. You can get matt/gloss finish varnish you apply with a brush and I think you can get a spray version too, certainly you can get spray for acrylics, it's much easier to apply evenly. Do a couple of thin coats not one thick one. There are normally instructions on the bottle. If you are in/near London a great art supplier is Atlantis, Whitechapel tube. I guarantee if you go there you will be seduced into loads more painting!

Lizzylou Fri 20-May-05 14:14:57

Thanks Ninah, tho unfortunately I am in the northern wilderness, so my bank balance and home life can rest easy!
I really enjoyed it, I hadn't painted anything since art at school when I was 13!!!!!! One thing about age, it does increase your patience levels!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now