Talk

Advanced search

Can some clever MNer talk me through how to make a real simple Drawstring P.E Bag?

(7 Posts)
TitsalinaBumsquash Wed 08-Jul-09 13:14:02

I have a sewing machine but i am not a natural seemstress, i would really like to let DS choose soe fabric and mae him a bag for his PE kit when he starts school in Sept.

Could one of you much cleverer, crafty types talk me through the making of a simple Drawsrtring bag. Please!

TIA.

Seeline Wed 08-Jul-09 13:35:58

Take a rectangular piece of material, fold end to end and with wrong sides out sew down both sides to make a basic sack. You than need to hem the top edge, but make it quite wide as you will need to thread the draw string through the 'tunnel'. If you do each side separately, you wil create two separate tunnels. Take two pieces of cord and thread them through the tunnels in opposite directions so that you will have the two loose ends for one cord at the opposite side to the other ends. tie the ends of each cord. When you pull on the ties the abg should close. Hope this makes sense - it's very hard to describe!

muffle Wed 08-Jul-09 13:41:14

this might help

Also make sure you make it big enough - remember the seams and hem will take up fabric and bags like this should always be a bit bigger than you think. Experiment by putting the kit (or equivalent amount of stuff) in plastic bags and see what is roughly the right size.

MummyDragon Wed 08-Jul-09 18:46:51

You could try using a pillowcase and just threading the cord through the top ... might save you some time?

meakin Mon 13-Jul-09 21:32:46

ayumills.blogspot.com/2008/09/tutorial-reversible-patchwork-bag.html if you want to keep it simple just use rectangle rather than patchwork.

liliputlady Tue 21-Jul-09 21:47:35

That would just be beyond me - sewing machines and me just don't mix. But in case you haven't succeeded yet, there are lovely personalised pump bags on "ebid
2 - child's name appliqued on front. I have bought loads for gifts - there are dozens of materials to choose from.

catseye123 Thu 23-Jul-09 22:06:26

Hi

My friend bought me a lovely kit to make a pump bag for my daughter. It was really easy to make even for me. If you haven't made one yet Look at this page

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now