Talk

Advanced search

How do you make very small pompoms?

(8 Posts)
LaurieFairyCake Mon 06-Jul-09 10:50:38

When you can't get the ball through the hole? hmm

Do I really hav to unravel the wool till its one long string and pull it through.

Anyone got a quicker idea?

positiveattitudeonly Mon 06-Jul-09 11:44:21

I've always used a needle for tiny ones. It doesn't take too long. cos they are only tiny!
Good luck! smile

LaurieFairyCake Mon 06-Jul-09 11:57:03

Thank-you for telling me that.smile

It seems obvious now you've said it blush but I would not have thought of that.

xxx

ev123 Mon 06-Jul-09 12:09:40

you can also buy little pom pom making gadgets, I've never used one though

gorionine Mon 06-Jul-09 12:13:34

I was going to suggest to make a big one and cut it to sizeblush. Positiveattitudeonly's advice is more sensible!

gigglinggoblin Mon 06-Jul-09 12:44:04

put your first two fingers together and wrap wool round for the pom pom then wrap around inbetween fingers, slip off, pull tight and knot. Then snip the top and bottom loops, fuff up and trim.

positiveattitudeonly Mon 06-Jul-09 16:18:31

Genius! grin & it works.

zisforzebra Mon 13-Jul-09 20:52:14

You can also take an oblong of stiff card, cut an oblong hole out of the middle and wind the wool round like this

[ IIII ]
[ ] is the card and III is the wool (I hope that makes sense, couldn't think how to describe it!)

Then wrap a little bit round the middle and pull tight and cut the top and bottom loops. It's a great technique because you can make the card any size you want and can keep it afterward because you don't need to cut through it to get the pompom off meaning that you don't have to faff about making little card circles each time. It's very quick too.

I've tried those plastic pompom rings and find it nearly impossible to get them off the wool without bits falling out and ending up with a thin, straggly pompom. Is there a secret trick?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now