Talk

Advanced search

Long shot... for knitters or ex knitters?

(15 Posts)
lunavix Mon 16-May-05 19:41:47

Does anyone have any erika knight or debbie bliss knitting books I can buy or borrow? I've been recommended them but would rather get them second hand (for obvious financial reasons ) but I'm happy to borrow and pay postage costs.....

cheekychops03 Mon 16-May-05 22:37:56

My SIL knits - I'll ask her. Obvious, I know but have you tried ebay?

giraffeski Mon 16-May-05 22:42:52

Message withdrawn

SueW Mon 16-May-05 22:53:58

There are 13 on ebay - search debbie bliss book. Or you could try the library.

Marina Mon 16-May-05 23:19:57

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I prefer the Rowan Babies and Pipsqueaks volumes...I just think their patterns are nicer. Debbie Bliss is maybe better for adults?

AussieSim Tue 17-May-05 04:10:43

I am currently watching just the one Debbie Bliss on the Oz ebay site - it is going for AUD13 - 3 or 4 pound? I don't know if I will get it - it is a bit of a whim at the mo - haven't knitted for years and was just thinking of scarves and beanies as it is coming winter here.

stitch Tue 17-May-05 08:30:35

try the local library

lunavix Tue 17-May-05 13:14:43

stitch - I'm going to when I can get there!

I have been looking on ebay but none of them seem good for beginners

TIA for anyone who thinks they might find one!

merglemergle Wed 18-May-05 14:54:50

lunavix-have you had a chance to look at the patterns in the two books? I ask because they are quite different. Erika Knight is more Monsoon, Debbie Bliss maybe more old fashioned. Erika Knight's stuff tends to be very well shaped, Debbie Bliss tends toward boxy styles and big patterns, lots of garter stitch hats etc.

Erika Knight in particular has a lot of stuff in her book for toddlers that bascially no child wears, like very fluffy socks.

I think Marina is right-the Rowan stuff especially is much nicer (have had terrible experiences with pipsqueaks).

Are you looking for anything in particular?

merglemergle Wed 18-May-05 21:45:39

lunavix...does this mean you've been tempted into knitting?

lunavix Wed 18-May-05 22:01:15

yes I have been tempted dp's gran can teach me (apparently she's good although she no longer knits)

I know the styles are completely different, I like erika knight's stuff a lot. Debbie bliss's patterns seem a lot simpler though, I especially like the look of her 'baby knits for beginners' book. And as they've both been recommended I thought I'd give them both a try!

So yes knitting has won I'm also tempted to make a patchwork quilt! (or a patchwork blanket as I'll probably try to knit it as I really can't sew that well!) So I may be asking a lot more questions soon...

hunkermunker Wed 18-May-05 22:02:25

Keep reading this thread title as ...for kittens or ex-kittens.

JoolsToo Wed 18-May-05 22:04:33

knit me this

lunavix Wed 18-May-05 22:05:22

HM - So did I looking in active conversations then realised it was my thread!

JT - I can try! Might be a few years away!

merglemergle Thu 19-May-05 07:18:51

"Baby knits for beginners" is excellent and its how I learnt to knit. Another good book is her "step by step knitting workbook". I had both of these from the library, btw. I quite like the patterns in these books, actually, its just later when she gets on to farmyard knits and so on that I don't like her stuff.

Incidentally, in the baby knits book one of the first (so easiest) patterns is...a patchwork quilt!

I'm just in a bad mood with Erika Knight because I just spent lots of money on her book for toddlers and found it to be full of fluffy boleros and hats which do not cover the ears. Also, some of the stuff is pretty complex, without much explaination. But her first book, I think "knits for cherished babies" or similar is great, very easy, practical and the stuff is pretty. And it taught me various shaping techniques.

And both have the advantage that their patterns actually work!

If someone is on hand to show you whats going wrong though, that makes so much difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now