Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got an embroidery machine? Does anyone embroider logos to earn money?

(7 Posts)
PerfectPrefect Sat 27-Jun-09 16:36:09

DP needs some logo's embroidering onto some shirts.

It is going to cost him in the region of £75-100 to get done in the short term - probably more in the longer term.

I could buy an embroidery machine for around £300-£350 on ebay (I am a crafty bod so this isn't a total whim). But I don't know what I am looking for (in terms of spec). If I did this I would look for other work in teh future. I have virtually been given a school jumper contract by just musing the idea of buying the machine - so I think I could make my money back - but TBH I don't know whether the cheapest machines are capable of that sort of work.

Does anyone have any pointers in what to look for?
Does anyone do this. How long would it take to embroider a school jumber (monochrome) logo?

I really am musing ATM...

ilove Sat 27-Jun-09 16:39:47

It isn't just the machine you need, it is the design logo software which is not included in the machines, very expensive and damn hard to learn how to do. I just sold both of my domestic embroidery machines in the last few weeks, and my industrial one a couple of years ago.

My advice? Don't even go there!

ilove Sat 27-Jun-09 16:41:42

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brother-PE-Design-V8-Embroidery-Software-Package_W0QQitemZ400057090772QQcmdZViewItemQ QptZUK_Crafts_Embroidery_EH?hash=item5d2542c2d4&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39 %3A1%7C72%3A1688%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50 there's your basic design software, add on the cost of the machine, the threads, frames, stabiliser and the shirts themselves, and then the time to actually learn how to do it, and in all honesty for the sake of a few shirts I really wouldn't bother.

PerfectPrefect Sat 27-Jun-09 16:42:29

Oh.

Ok.

I didn't know that you needed the software seperately. I assumed they would take a jpg or similar.

ilove Sat 27-Jun-09 16:47:52

No.. They all also only take their own kind of software, eg the PES ones are for Brother machines, the HUS are for Husquevana etc...they don't interchange. You can get what is called an "Ultimate Box" and download the designs you have done onto a card on there, change the format using yet another piece of software, and then use in other machines but it really is a long, drawn-out learning curve.

Babieseverywhere Tue 30-Jun-09 16:00:11

Where abouts are you ? I have a RL friend who could do this for you, assuming she was interested and the price was right for her ? As I am guessing the quote you got was from a company not a hobbyist.

She has a machine and done a few courses and makes stuff for her baby boy and has promised to do a cardigan for my daughter when she starts nursery.

WriggleJiggle Mon 06-Jul-09 23:03:21

Babieseverywhere, I think you are near me. I would be interested in getting a quote. What would you need to know?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now