Talk

Advanced search

Traditional craft classes for tweens. Advice/musing/ideas needed!

(6 Posts)
HouseisJackBauersDoctor Tue 02-Jun-09 20:07:03

I am thinking of holding craft classes for 8-11 yr olds, or maybe younger, for things like sewing, crochet, knitting, basically stuff they might not learn at school.
I was thinking I could do little projects with them each week, making scarves or wristwarmers, bags, etc.
I have a sewing machine I could take but would need to charge for materials etc and then hire somewhere.
I haven't really thought any further than that, not even sure where to start, I mean, woudl I need insurance, could I just give business cards to mums at DD's school?

Any ideas/experience/advice welcome!

moocowme Wed 03-Jun-09 20:54:20

no experience on this but i know several mums at work of tweens who would just love for them to be able to go to something like this.

when i was young we had these sorts of classess after school with some lovely old ladies who taught a whole load of things. i loved it and learnt a great deal. a pity their is not more of this sort of thing.

JackBauer Thu 04-Jun-09 20:06:40

Thanks for reply. I havent done anything like this for years but I learnt from my mum when very small and it all came flooding back when I tried. I just don't know where to start really!

JackBauer Thu 04-Jun-09 20:12:33

What do you think you would pay for that though? Say an hour a week early evening or saturday morning or something, I reckon £5 or 6 would cover costs etc or could I ask more?

moocowme Thu 04-Jun-09 21:15:34

for an hour i think that would be enough but if it was for longer you could charge more. It depends on where you are really and how many you would have at a time and the quality of the materials supplied.

JackBauer Thu 04-Jun-09 21:59:49

We aren't really in a rich area so I think that's the maximum. I might nick borrow my friends 2 eldest as guinea pigs and hope word of mouth spreads!

<hopes t2t sees posts and offers up eldest children to my caregrin>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now