How much do you think it would cost to get roman blinds made?

(12 Posts)
itchyandscratchy Wed 20-May-09 18:38:24

Not by hillary's or whatever, just by someone indepedendent, if I bought the fabric and fixings? for victorian house bay window, two narrow and one wide blind.

I have absolutely no idea what it would cost - anyone have any idea? Ta

OP’s posts: |
sugarcube67 Thu 21-May-09 09:45:43

hi i just bought a roman blind from terrys fabrics, just google it..it was only £25 and think postage was nearly £5 too but got it the next day.it was 150 cm wide and 190 long,very easy to put up too. and was the best price i found , i did look around a lot..they have kits too that you can make your own, just need your own fabric,but i wasnt brave enough to try that one !! hope thats some help to you

sugarcube67 Thu 21-May-09 09:48:38

they do various sizes i just mentioned price of mine for comparison,they do made to measure too.i found hilarys to be really expensive, even with the so called sale

NorbertDentressangle Thu 21-May-09 09:52:34

When I saw the thread title I too was going to say to avoid Hillarys -my neighbour got a quote from them after seeing a supposed Special Offer but it was extortionate and the Special Offer only applied in certain circumstances eg. if you bought an entire house worth of blinds or something!

Have a look in your Yellow Pages and find a local company or person who can make them up -just phone with the sizes and ask for a quote or idea of the price.

seriouscase Thu 21-May-09 10:05:52

I had a made to measure one made from my local fabric/curtains shop. It is lovely material and has blackout lining. But was £101! medium size window.
I made one myself - quite a few mistakes but it is fine and that cost about £25! Not too difficult if you are willing to give it a go.

itchyandscratchy Thu 21-May-09 19:35:17

Thanks. I wanted some lurvely fabric - have a certain type in mind and so thought it might be cheaper to buy the fabric and then ask someone to make it up.

Will have a butch at Terrys though.

itchyandscratchy Thu 21-May-09 19:38:54

ah yes, turns out I have looked at terrys myself. Good prices, I agree, but didn't have the ones or colour I want.

I have developed an unreasonable yearning for silk blinds in a dark raspberry colour blush. Yes, I know... humour me

Grumpy0ldWotz Sat 23-May-09 12:17:47

I have bought fabric and had a local lady make me some curtains which varied from £70 from £180. If you can find someone who knows what they are doing and the fabric is for a large window, then it is worth it. I have made my own in the past for bedrooms (light fabric), which are easy to do.

I would choose the fabric, but let them tell you the quantity they require. If there is a pattern you will need more material, for the repeat if there are blinds to make. Or they will look odd.

Grumpy0ldWotz Sat 23-May-09 12:18:30

are '3' blinds to make. Or they will look odd.

luvoneson Sat 23-May-09 12:23:34

Dont know where you live but i'm in Essex and I use a company called Bells Blinds, alsolutely lovely. Good price as well. Hillary's have quite often got sales on. Roman Blinds are always quite pricey.

itchyandscratchy Tue 26-May-09 18:01:32

Ta. Have now found some on blinds-depot.co.uk and I can get the 3 made for about £250 - which does seem a lot but not compared to some of the other quotes I got. Now I just have to persuade dh.....

Lilysophia Tue 04-Dec-18 14:14:31

I realise this thread was 2009 but read all comments on Roman blinds
I am a semi retired curtain maker and have been making Roman blinds for years . If made correctly by a professional they do come expensive.
I now teach how to make curtains/ blinds in my workshop if any of you ladies are interested

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in