Talk

Advanced search

Bag making

(29 Posts)
alicecrail Thu 30-Apr-09 10:47:20

I have recently become very keen on sewing and have just passed my NOCN level 2 dressmaking (for what it is worth grin) and i am very interested in making a bag. I wondered if anyone here had any tips/advice on where to start. I have tried my local library but recently all their craft books seem to have disappeared, everytime i go in they have fewer and fewer hmm (how dare people take books from the library wink )
Are there any good books/websites i should look up, i haven't found much when i have looked.
Thanks

Housemum Thu 30-Apr-09 12:51:09

Don't know any books, but if someone comes up with names see if your library has an online reservation service. I look for books I fancy on Amazon, then search online to see if our county has a copy - it costs 50p to reserve it and have it sent to your local library. If it's out on loan, they send it to you when it comes back (and if someone reserves a book, whoever has it has to return rather than renew it when their time is up, so people can't hog books if others are waiting)

I've found this really useful as a lot of the knitting books I've borrowed had great write-ups, but I have sometimes been really disappointed and glad I didn't fork out £10 - £20 for a copy.

alicecrail Thu 30-Apr-09 13:24:33

housemum i have just done that! Have reserved about 6 but a bit unsure how i will know they are in as it didn't ask for email address or anything. They probably have my phone number from library registration though don't they?

JackBauerkillspigs Thu 30-Apr-09 21:29:18

Have you had a look here? They have some kits and good stuff on there for learning.

JackBauerkillspigs Thu 30-Apr-09 21:29:21

Have you had a look here? They have some kits and good stuff on there for learning.

alicecrail Fri 01-May-09 07:10:49

ooh, that looks good, thank you

JackBauerkillspigs Fri 01-May-09 13:28:41

It's addictive though! Be carefulgrin

stealthsquiggle Fri 01-May-09 13:31:59

JackB I may regret following that link. To date I have confined myself to make-it-up-as-I-go-along bags for my DC, as party bags, and as presents for DS's friends. I did buy a book but it wasn't great, TBH, so the library route sounds a better option.

JackBauerkillspigs Fri 01-May-09 13:38:35

I have done homemade party bags out of an old sheet, they went down really well!
Some other good tutes here for the basic 'jordy' bag (basically a lined bag with square base) which I use all the time.
And if you feel like losing a few hours, try this list of tutorials!

stealthsquiggle Fri 01-May-09 13:42:43

ooooh I like the shape of that one. I make all bags lined because I am lazy and it is quicker/easier than finishing egdes, but I don't bother turning them inside-out like she does - I just assemble the whole thing and top-stich the two together.

alicecrail Fri 01-May-09 16:07:26

I like the look of those links, will have a proper look once i have a whole week a couple of hours to myself smile

meltedmarsbars Wed 06-May-09 13:40:07

I made party bags out of Beano pages, folded up origami-style.

a yummy-mummy asked me where I got them....!!!

stealthsquiggle Mon 11-May-09 22:48:21

so - following a perusal of the sites JackB linked to, I have just (in about 1.5 hours) made a mini-messenger bag for one of DS's friends which I am really pleased with. I did opt out of the zip bit but it is really rather lovely (IMHO) and cost me nothing as it was made out of scraps and remnants.

..this could get addictive grin

alicecrail Mon 18-May-09 17:17:10

grin I spent ages looking at that crafter link and have now made my first purse (took about an hour) and have started on my bag. It is addictive grin

frustratedmom Wed 20-May-09 01:03:11

I cheated and got a basic pattern from a shop and customed it with a desgin created by some one else who put it in a card making mag. if interested could try the profile thing and stick a pick up so you can see the end result - not too much like the original pattern and now feeling adventurous enough to head out and design own shapes.

alicecrail Wed 20-May-09 08:41:00

Ooh, would like to see it. I am looking for some burgandy velvet ribbon to finish my bag but can't find any.

frustratedmom Wed 20-May-09 15:29:04

You'll have to bear with as my computer skills are a little lacking (it took and hour to figure out linking stuff) Will try tonight if DS ever goes to bed. angry bedtime seems non-existant here hmm

frustratedmom Wed 20-May-09 15:43:52

Had five mins and got basic and pickies up. will figure rest profile later. Have you tries John-lewis they sometimes have interesting ribbons? When lived in Cambridgeshire found sewing resources hard to source. There was a little shop I found quite good but it is small and not sure they carried velvet ribbon- have you googled?

alicecrail Wed 20-May-09 17:26:47

Wow! That is lovely!! Mine look decidedly shoddy compared to yours. We have a little sewing shop in town that is actually well stocked but not much in the way of velvet ribbon. Will have to go into cambridge instead.

frustratedmom Wed 20-May-09 18:42:05

Car park nightmare! Don't envy you that! Glad now somewhere is lots of well stocked craft and material shops within easy reach grin!

PS it was a simple pattern can locate maker and no if interested.

alicecrail Thu 21-May-09 06:58:32

That would be good if you could.

frustratedmom Thu 21-May-09 14:10:59

Cant locate in mad panick to go away for wedding. Will resuce on sun if you can bump or something so thread doesn't disappear will make sure you get it.
Forgot put away as dc thought he would use it to help. And some helpful s**t has put a load of stuff so I can't get to it.

Sorry for delay But hope to sort soon.

alicecrail Thu 21-May-09 15:13:26

No hurry, have a good weekend smile

frustratedmom Sun 24-May-09 16:47:57

found it grin - Simplicity pattern no 9963.

need to spring clean sewing area though sad
and need to finish a few UFO's - there seems to be rather alot hmm

frustratedmom Sun 24-May-09 16:48:49

Oh by the way where did you do your course am thinking about doing a dressmaking course but not sure where to look for such a thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now