Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Snazzzy telephone intros

(25 Posts)
melsy Tue 26-Apr-05 15:00:49

I just need some fresh open ended intros when phoning gallerys. Im so not into the business head anymore and its soooo much harder to sell ones self than having the power of representing a huge coroporation in a position of status as I used to. Mummy head made it all go to mooosh.

I need to call some this afternoon and bottling out cos feel sick & shaky with nerves !!!

I need a way of introducing that wont induce a yes or no reply.

melsy Tue 26-Apr-05 15:07:09

bump

melsy Tue 26-Apr-05 15:13:10

is it cos I bigged my self up!!!!!!!

melsy Tue 26-Apr-05 15:19:17

please dont let this be a bad omen

Miaou Tue 26-Apr-05 15:47:10

I don't know if I can specifically give advice on "selling" yourself as such, but here are some things that work for me:

- Work out more or less what you want to say before you telephone. That way you are less likely to stammer "um, err" or get flustered.

- Know who you need to contact, preferably by name. If they are not there/available, leave your name and number (if they will take it) and say you will call back. Find out when is a good time to call - and make sure you follow it up.

- Know exactly what outcome you want from your phonecall - eg an appointment.

- When talking on the phone, even to the receptionist, I find it useful to drop my voice a tone or two (I have a naturally high voice) - it makes me feel more businesslike and in control, and (I think!) it makes me sound more professional.

- Bear in mind that the "receptionist" could actually be the gallery owner/ owner's wife/ owner's lover etc. Always treat the "little" people with as much respect as the "big people".

I hope this helps melsy and doesn't come across as rather patronising!!! Good Luck!!

melsy Tue 26-Apr-05 15:52:46

Thanx Miaou for posting, its more marketing/selling ideas Im after.

Dingle Tue 26-Apr-05 15:57:36

Going along the same lines as Miaou, but another confidence boosting tip, is to stand up and talk.

Once you have done one or two, I am sure that you will feel a lot easier and more confident.

Good luck!

melsy Tue 26-Apr-05 16:08:18

Im not to bad on telephone etiquette, manner , its more a case of what can I say that they havent heard before once Im through to proprietors. Something that will make them take note. Rather than just "Hi my name is ......... I have a business called .............and I do paintings" !!! If you get my drift.

champs Thu 28-Apr-05 00:14:26

hiya, best to grab their attention first hand or they'll just zone out. also maybe say your buisness name rather than your own first and then say who's calling like.... hi there this is art r us calling, my name is melsy and I would like to arrange an appointment to discuss.........
or you could try the crafty approach.... hi there I am just calling about a fantastic new artist melsy, have you heard of here? No well I'd love to fix up an appointment for her to come to show you her work.......
I agree with Miaou that it's good to know who you need to contact.

melsy Thu 28-Apr-05 12:11:28

no worries about knowing who Im calling , in my mad virgoen ways I started a spreadsheet in JAN with names and numbers all ready for when id done my collection!!!!It has columns for call status, email addy, dates for each call , everything !!!

I was a mad nuerotic,finickity(sp) control freak snotty,Buyer in my past life!!! But this new direction is making me go to pot !!every time I open the spreadsheet to call , my stomach turns. I used to gather huge sickening amounts of money for newspaper advertising space or free furniture for display in stores every week from suppliers , so this should be nothing compared, but I feel sick sick sick!!!!!

melsy Thu 28-Apr-05 12:13:40

I sound nice dont I !!!!. apologies if my past life ego is trying to get out. I dont know what comes over me !! again!!

champs Thu 28-Apr-05 13:09:56

melsy -- can you do a mock call to your friend or mum?
I think you're just going to have to go for it. the first one is always the hardest(ooer) after that you'll sail through the rest. seeing as you have done sales before just treat it like that, bit harder when it is you you are selling I know, but just have confidence in your work and it will be easy.

posthere after your first call for a calming debrief.... and also cos I'm a nosey parker

melsy Thu 28-Apr-05 13:12:24

thanx champs , I like nosey parkers , especially with this: a) cos my ego requires me to show off!!! b) so I dont feel Im alone in what Im doing c) I like nattering!!

thatsa good idea , I didnt think of role play !! mmmmm who can I do it with.

champs Thu 28-Apr-05 13:47:23

LOL!! gor for it!!

melsy Thu 28-Apr-05 15:16:57

CR*P that was !!!

I was shaking like a leaf with the 1st call!!! and I think it came out in my voice. FFS what is worng with me!! This SHOULD be a piece of cake , but Im faltering. Im not falling at the 1st hurdle, but he did say hes just had a huge delivery from the spring fair and trade is the lowest its been for 5 years he said that no ones going to be trading very much until elections over. Although it was good to get some insider trading info on the market right now and he gave me a name of a large art dealing national company Id forgotten about!

Oh well keep on going with the little commisons I do get here and there right now and see what happens. Will keep you posted.

gscrym Thu 28-Apr-05 15:19:49

Don't do what Saira on The Apprentice did when they had to organise an exhibition and say to one of the artist 'are you the right person to talk to about this'.

champs Thu 28-Apr-05 15:36:16

melsy dont give up, give a few more places a call they might have a diff viewpoint.
Also look around at alternative places that showcase art, coffe shops, cafe's, museums, resturants, local places of interst, civic centres/ townhalls, schools.....

Jayzmummy Thu 28-Apr-05 15:50:17

This might sound really silly....But here goes...

My sister is a dentist and she has a local artist who hangs her paintings in the surgery waiting room....she sells loads!!!!

I gave my sister a few cards that I make and asked her to pop some on the reception desk....I now get a repeat order from her for 30+ cards a week.

The surgery is in a very affluent area...may be you could try some doctors surgeries or dental practices in areas around your locality that are a little more upmarket.

Private practises will have patients on their books that are the ones who are most likely to buy!!

Good luck.

melsy Thu 28-Apr-05 15:51:27

well I just got off the phone from the large art dealing International company !!!! what a great convo, Im to send in a disk of my work and my promotional letter and a profile and every month they have a big meeting to decide what new artists they are going to represent. They deal with galleries all over the country and have some amazing artists amongst thier collection. OOOHH IM soo excited and nervous now !!! This is gonna be like a rollercoaster the next few mnths !!!

melsy Thu 28-Apr-05 15:52:30

wow not silly at all jayzmummy thankyou for the idea!!

melsy Thu 28-Apr-05 16:21:15

It seems they are both a publisher and an original art business. Not sure how limited edition prints work with my paintings, will have to ask. Would be good to chat with another of their artists.

Jayzmummy Thu 28-Apr-05 16:27:57

Hubby has just tole me they do they same thing at the local big firm of solicitors.....so you could try those aswell.

melsy Thu 28-Apr-05 17:15:40

Corrr just phoned a gallery localish to me and BOY real scary women !!! Ive got to find my confidence and FAST !! she nearly made mince meat out of me. "have you any art background?" , What college did you go to?", "have you got any REAL recent work, because I get Rubbish sent to me from 3 years ago?".

She wants a 13 line profile on why I like painting too!!EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

champs Thu 28-Apr-05 22:28:08

eeeek indeed!! scary woman but good to get you thinking, keep the profile for your personal use too

champs Sun 01-May-05 16:37:03

AQ --- Here i am!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now