loader

Talk

Advanced search

Scrapbooking for beginners...

(29 Posts)
Yorkiegirl Sun 24-Apr-05 20:15:37

Message withdrawn

Judd Sun 24-Apr-05 20:24:33

Hiya, I know my friend orders on line and uses the companies who are affiliated to Scrapaholics or UK Scrappers(see their websites). Hobbycraft have some stuff but are quite pricey. For fonts and ideas on layouts, you could try twopeasinabucket dot com
Hope that helps, I'm a beginner myself so haven't got much else I can tell you.

cheekychops03 Sun 24-Apr-05 20:29:21

Hi there
What a lovely idea. I get a lot of my scrapbooking pages from the internet as the 2 craft shops near me are small and rubbish! The following websites usually have a decent selection but it really depends what you want:
www.paperarts.co.uk
www.calicocrafts.co.uk

QVC also do some good starter kits, that give you the album and some pages and embellishments, usually cheaper than it would be to but them all seperately (www.qvcuk.com).

Another alternative is ebay. There are loads of sellers (I tend to go for ebay shops) selling scrapbooking stuff. Don't be afriad to go to US sites. Most will post to the UK and can even be cheaper then UK prices even with p+p added.

As you can gather scrapbooking is a bit of a passion for me so feel free to CAT me with anything else.

CC

p.s. TLC are a scrapbooking company just arriving in the UK from the US. Am probably going to do some work for them but not starting till next month if you can wait till then.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll be bombarded with loads of advice from all these talented crafters I have recently discovered.

AuntyQuated Sun 24-Apr-05 21:53:44

you need to talk to Jayzmummy ..she is doing something very simsilar

Jayzmummy Sun 24-Apr-05 22:52:08

YG....great minds think alike. DH is 40 in September and I am putting togeteher a scarp book for him. have found some really lovely old sepia photographs of his great great grandparents....such a shame they were hidden away in an old shoe box in his great aunts attic.

I ordered a scrap booking set from QVC which is lovely and I bought extra pages from the paper mill shop.

This is a good site to try....although I placed a big order last week and they have emailed me to say most of the papers I want are out of stock!!!
you may find some you like here

Hope you manage to find what you are looking for.

dramaqueen72 Sun 24-Apr-05 23:21:44

try scraporium.co.uk
they are fabulous, and everything is mailed the same day and arrives the next! I scrapbook alot and think getting a scrapbook magazine is a great way t o get inspired, try 'creating keepsakes' mag, an american one but wonderful, available thro scraporium too.

champs Mon 25-Apr-05 23:27:51

hi!! big tip is look in your local woolies, they have a wedding photo albulm and a baby photo albulm that used to be 7.99 they are down to 2.99 i got a few and they are good. you can then cover them.
I got papers from hobbycraft, qvc and somewhere online. I took the phot pages out and replaced them with papers in transparent protectors.

use embelishments for pages. look at photo's and pick out colours and themes.

i did a scrapbbook for my mum at christmas and will add to it.

bumptobabies Thu 19-May-05 13:10:21

any ideas for our first wedding avaversary its on the 1st so havent got much time,as the theme is paper doing a scrap book is ideal.

champs Thu 19-May-05 17:21:01

hiya, get some pics from your wedding and honeymoon(if went on one) copy them so you dont mess up ypur good ones. you can use your cpu for typing text and you can get rub ons and peel offs for text too as well as your own handwritting.
get some embellishments like stickers, beads, ribbon, etc.
you can look at the pics and see what stands out and then decorated the page with the colours in the pic and the theme. or you could find some paper you want to use and match a pic to that.
use phrases like "to love and to hold", " "two become one" etc.
erm..... have you done scrapping before?

SoupDragon Thu 19-May-05 18:20:03

I'd use stuff you've done in your first year together. Not all the wedding but starting from there and moving through the year.

bumptobabies Thu 19-May-05 18:32:33

ive never done scrapping before but here goes

SoupDragon Thu 19-May-05 18:36:28

I would keep it simple then. I've just kind of done one for a friend and it just evolved. I printed off some appropriate pictures to decorate the pages of photos, wrote some oh-so-witty-and-meaningful captions, stuck on some appropriate embellishments and added some peel off borders to things et voila!

Sort out your pictures first. Work out how you want to group them - maybe a page per month? You might have to be creative if you had a dull February though! Then you can look at a craft shop/website and see what things leap out as being appropriate.

SoupDragon Thu 19-May-05 18:37:46

Remember it's for a man - not too flowery and overly sentimental (unless he's that kind of guy!).

Hausfrau Thu 19-May-05 19:13:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hausfrau Fri 20-May-05 13:20:18

champs Fri 20-May-05 13:31:43

LOL, you haven't killed it at all!! maybe they're all off scrapping. Any luck with finding an album?

Hausfrau Fri 20-May-05 13:36:53

champs Fri 20-May-05 13:50:47

LOL!! and so the buying frenzy begins
you could also use pc for journalling. If you want any sizzix alphabets I have the fruit smoothie one, still yet to put up my stuff in swop shop. I could send you some out for you to have a play maybe a set or a phrase.

Also there are some scrapbook pics and backing papers on the web that you can use freely.
Look around the house aswell you'll be suprised what is around that will save you pennies (says me who is over-overdrawn because I just had to have those craft bits)

why not have a look at the swop shop too as anorak JM and dingle have their bits(ahem) on there at the mo.

SoupDragon Fri 20-May-05 14:01:38

Hausfrau - look at the "home made rub down transfers" thread. You don't need to go cheesey, you can make your own. (I'm with you on the cheesey front!)

champs Fri 20-May-05 14:06:37

lol, just about to put a link in here for her too!! great minds eh soupy??

SoupDragon Fri 20-May-05 14:07:51

I'm so excited about the rub down transfer trick that I can't actually think of anything to do with it!

champs Fri 20-May-05 14:13:09

are you in the wedding card swap? you could use it on that, use the gold/ silver printing trick.
you could make text boxes for your cards and then matt them onto cards. ooohhh you could print pictures too and then rub them down onto card/ paper and colour in, or make your own backing papers and gift wrap!!!

SoupDragon Fri 20-May-05 14:14:18

No, I'm not doing the challenges

I may have to go and buy more OHP slides though...

bumptobabies Sat 21-May-05 08:01:13

i have been wading through photos, sorry for not posting. seem to have gaps in photo periods and as dh takes the pics hes hardly in any.

SoupDragon Sat 21-May-05 08:08:22

I know the feeling! Although it's me that's hardly in any of our photos

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now