Aimsmum Wed 13-Apr-05 14:41:21

Message withdrawn

Aimsmum Wed 13-Apr-05 15:53:34

Message withdrawn

SoupDragon Wed 13-Apr-05 15:56:14

Wait til they get dropped on the floor

They are great aren't they?

bundle Wed 13-Apr-05 15:57:19

dd1 made a lovely heart with them at after school club...must get some for home once dd2 has stopped eating everything in sight.

tamum Wed 13-Apr-05 16:01:03

Ooh yes, we love them too! Haven't done any for a while, hmmmm. Have you tried the glow in the dark ones? Ds and dd did their names in ordinary beads and surrounded them with the g-i-t-d ones and then in a dark room (OK, the toilet) you can see their names picked out in the middle of the glow

Incidentally, completely off-topic, there used to be someone on here who raved about xylitol for prevention of ear infections, I think just by using the toothpaste (can that be true?). It might be worth having a look at some old threads.

roisin Wed 13-Apr-05 16:23:09

We love Hama beads too

I have two boys and they love doing 'creative' stuff - kits, hama beads, sewing, friendship bracelets, etc. It annoys me intensely that post age 5 or so these things are exclusively marketed to girls in purple boxes in the 'pink sparkly' aisle next to the dolls!

littlerach Wed 13-Apr-05 16:24:54

Yes, DD1 got some for her bday and we love them too.

That was the first time she saw me use an iron !!

Aimsmum Wed 13-Apr-05 16:55:36

Message withdrawn

FrenchGirl Wed 13-Apr-05 17:17:30

we just got some during the holidays and dd got hooked!! she's been making boys, girls, teddies and stars and showed off her 'creations' at school today!! Great fun and brilliant for fine motoring skills.....

Enid Wed 13-Apr-05 17:24:56

you can buy an Inspirations booklet if you want to copy designs.

tamum, that was robinw and yes, it was by using the toothpaste and the gum I believe, Marina was a convert.

rickman Wed 13-Apr-05 18:02:25

Message withdrawn

Tinker Wed 13-Apr-05 18:06:50

I love these things.

roisin Wed 13-Apr-05 18:28:28

Have you seen the mini beads! I ordered a set just to see what they were like
I'd need a magnifying glass and tweezers to do them!

KatieMac Fri 15-Apr-05 21:25:29

Roisin - One of the catalogue do castle sets with knights & dragons....but I cna't remember which one...I'll have a look tomorrow (if I have time)

My mindees love them

Hulababy Fri 15-Apr-05 21:27:32

I want DD (just turned 3) to be old enough for these as they look and sound great fun

Dingle Fri 15-Apr-05 21:28:16

Have seen the larger beads in catalogues too! I wondered if they would be any good for dd to help with fine motor skills! I have visions of these little beads all over the floor, in her mouth, up her nose... perhaps when she is older!

Dingle Fri 15-Apr-05 21:31:37

Hula, I believe the larger ones are from 3+. Can't be sure though. They are called a slightly different name and I can't remember where I have seen them.

Hulababy Fri 15-Apr-05 21:33:33

I will have to have a look.

Dingle Fri 15-Apr-05 21:34:41

They are in the Baker Ross catalogue and called Hama Maxi Beads, age 3-5.

Hulababy Fri 15-Apr-05 21:35:18

Thanks

Lonelymum Fri 15-Apr-05 21:35:33

How do you get them to stick together though? If I iron on them on one side only, they fall apart really quickly, but if I iron them on both sides, you lose the shape of the beads.

roisin Fri 15-Apr-05 21:38:17

Dingle - the larger beads (maxi) are great, and really very chunky (wouldn't really fit into a child's nostril!) We got a big set which came with a see-through peg board, then you put a 'pattern' underneath to copy - it's really very clever. You do have to heat them with an iron for LONG time though to make them stick. I thought I might still have it on the shelf, but I must have got rid of it already in a clear-out.

DS2 (NT) started doing them when he was about 18 mo!!!

The maxi beads are difficult to get hold of in this country though, but there is a company that sells all the stuff mailorder.

Hulababy Fri 15-Apr-05 21:40:03

They are quite expensive though aren't they - £18.99 plus P&P for the Maxi ones on Baker Ross. Have to find a way to justify getting some for DD now! Bearing in mind she has just had her birthday and her birthday money is all gone!

roisin Fri 15-Apr-05 21:43:45

With HAMA beads it comes in useful being a bit of a linguist. The instructions go something like this:
English: Heat with an iron until they stick
German: Heat with a iron on hottest (linen) setting for 19.23 seconds

OK, I'm exaggerating! It actually only says 15-20 seconds. But on the UK instructions it really just says for "a few moments"!!!

roisin Fri 15-Apr-05 21:45:40

Hula - is she quite dextrous? And I presume doesn't put things in her mouth? I'd try her first with the standard ones: she may well manage fine with them. Ds2 could do them at 3, and ds1 could do them at 3.5 and he has quite poor co-ordination.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now