Talk

Advanced search

Shrink Plastic..

(22 Posts)
jayzmummy Wed 13-Apr-05 12:24:35

Just bought some.....so what do I use to craw my design of Y Fronts and to colour it in.....do I colour before heating or afterwards??????
HELP!!!!!!!

jayzmummy Wed 13-Apr-05 12:25:06

???craw???? Draw!

AuntyQuated Wed 13-Apr-05 12:26:19

not here really - am at work

AuntyQuated Wed 13-Apr-05 12:27:51

draw with permant pen....if it is pre-sanded then i believe you can colour with most things, chalks, kids pencils, felt pens
colour before eating but rememeber the colour intensifies

AuntyQuated Wed 13-Apr-05 12:28:44

if it isn't pre-sanded then ??????
try sanding it, i haven't had much/any luck wth unsanded

Dingle Wed 13-Apr-05 12:29:53

I draw freehand using a fabric/laundry marker pen.
Try different things to colour, I have some cheap metallic pencils from Crayola, look great on shrink plastic,realily subtle and pearlised. Colour before and remember when colouring the colour really intensifies on shrinking.

How are you planning to heat it, with a heat gun or in the oven. I admit to being a coward and pop mine in the oven, it's great to watch it!!
But then again, I am very sad when it comes to crafts!

jayzmummy Wed 13-Apr-05 12:37:46

AQ....i dont plan on eating it at all....however I will be heating it with my heat gun!!!!

Do you think gel pens will work OK...I have just bought a pack of really nice glitter pens?????

jayzmummy Wed 13-Apr-05 12:39:00

Its not presanded either....will a fine sandpaper be Ok to use....or how about an emery board????

AuntyQuated Wed 13-Apr-05 12:42:22

how much have you bought cos i wasted loads fiddling around unsuccessfully

fine sandpaper should be ok

gel pens too, once it's sanded

heat gun??? hmm, tried that...ve frustrating, kept blowing away!! oven is better, has yoyrs got a glass door, cos i don't know how you would manage if you couldn't see it

Dingle Wed 13-Apr-05 12:45:39

hhmmmm....tasty.

Shame I don't get so excited about cooking dinner in the oven too!!

jayzmummy Wed 13-Apr-05 12:47:39

I have bought a bumper back 20 A4 sheets for £2 from the craft shop. Our oven is an old aga and doesnt have glass doors???? So will have to resort to the heat gun. Do you think that if I punch a hole in the plastic before heating I can secure it down to stop it flying away????

Dingle Wed 13-Apr-05 12:50:50

Have you got something like a long pair of tweezers or a wooden spatula that you could use.

If you are doing design with punched holes you could thread a piece of thicker wire through it and hold it by that!

jayzmummy Wed 13-Apr-05 12:53:18

Will have a go with some wire....better get off the comp and do some house work, then I can play!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

champs Wed 13-Apr-05 14:32:07

use tweezers to hold it down whilst heating. if it curls up keep holding it and it should uncurl. If you need a hole put it in first.

AuntyQuated Thu 14-Apr-05 18:55:46

how did you get on?

MandM Fri 15-Apr-05 10:29:12

Was wondering how you'd got on with this too. I've bought some but haven't yet used it and like JM haven't got a suitable oven so it's going to have to be the heat gun. Was thinking that those long wooden skewers for bbq kebabs might be Ok for prodding the stuff back down.
Will wait to see how JM's test run went before I give it a go (I'm a coward ).

hi5 Fri 15-Apr-05 12:14:49

Have you used the teflon baking sheets to put your shrink plastic on - it saves a lot of mucking about. You can also put your embossing powders on it once it has shrunk to size and just fix it with the hot air gun or in the oven.

Jayzmummy Sat 16-Apr-05 22:37:09

MandM....I used the wooden skewers!!!!

It went really well....J enjoyed helping out too!!! The kids are pretty fascinated by the stuff.....its a bit tricky gauging the size that you want your end result to be....so I am going to draw my design the size I want it and then enlarge it on the photocopier.

Dingle Sat 16-Apr-05 22:43:18

JM, I haven't got the facility to reduce/enlarge on my scanner, not that I anm capable of anyhow!!
Another good tip was to make yourself up a ruler and shrink it, so you can guage exactly how small things shrink to.

I remember looking at a website, can't remember how useful it was though, but it might give you some inspiration. Secret Squirrel sprung to mind but thinking about it again it was Lucky Squirrel I think!

Dingle Wed 27-Apr-05 21:15:57

Made some more little designs up using my shrink plastic today, I just love them, but haven't actually put them onto a card yet!

I made up a 10cm "ruler" and shrunk it, really useful to help gauge exactly how big (or should I say small ) the designs will end up. I admit to peering in through the oven door and thinking "STOP, STOP!"

What has everyone else made with theirs, and how did your underpants turn out JM?

Carolinett Wed 27-Apr-05 21:34:38

Don't do what I did first time I used shrink wrap rubber stamped a teddy bear on it put ebossing powder just like you would when your making a card then put the heat gun on it, what a blobbing mesh

Jayzmummy Thu 28-Apr-05 00:08:54

Pants were fine thanks Dingle....I have made lots of things, but like you havent added them to the cards yet!

Kids love it and I have made loads of bits for them and their mates....just need to make more for my cards now!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now