Talk

Advanced search

Pattern calls for Debbie Bliss Cotton Cashmere, can't find it, what can I sub?

(8 Posts)
Bumperslucious Sun 15-Feb-09 16:54:29

It's apparently a DK 85% cotton 15% cashmere. I'm going to be crocheting a scarf for my mum. Am a complete wool philistine! I can't even find the Debbie Bliss stuff, though I suspect it is expensive. What else could I use that I could by online?

DutchOma Sun 15-Feb-09 18:12:19

here is a link

mileniwmffalcon Sun 15-Feb-09 18:24:19

i like to replace like for like where possible with yarns - the designer has picked a yarn for particular properties. cotton has very little stretch, the cashmere won't add much, so i'd look for a predominantly cotton sub, with something added for softness. rowan do "cashcotton" that has various extras, i find ebay a good hunting place for discontinued yarns (which i think this may be?) cashcotton on ebay

blithedance Sun 15-Feb-09 18:24:30

Any double knitting would do. Cotton cashmere is soft and matt, try something like Sirdar Luxury Soft Cotton DK

Patons Cotton DK more kind of shiny and mercerised but still a lovely yarn

Patons Serenity DK not much cheaper but does look lovely.

Would stick to a cotton or wool blend though, don't inflict acrylic on the recipient.

mileniwmffalcon Sun 15-Feb-09 18:26:03

see if you can find tension info for both yarns, although with a scarf it's really not crucial - one dk for another should be fine.

Bumperslucious Sun 15-Feb-09 18:26:14

Thanks for the link Dutchoma

Bumperslucious Sun 15-Feb-09 18:36:30

Oooh, x posts with you all, thanks for the tips.

DumbledoresGirl Sun 15-Feb-09 18:37:31

You are right, it is expensive but it is gorgeous stuff. You can buy it in John Lewis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now