Talk

Advanced search

making necklaces with buttons

(8 Posts)
Marvin Sat 07-Feb-09 22:06:51

fact 1: I rather like the look of buttony necklaces I'm seeing around at the moment

fact 2: I have a tin of old buttons from my grandmother

fact 3: I'm not actually creative or particularly crafty

given the facts above, can I do something with the buttons to create a lovely necklace that will have special sentimental value for me?

thanks!

janeite Sat 07-Feb-09 22:09:43

No idea sorry but am bumping for you as I am very jealous of your button box!

I'd quite like to customise a plain black cardigan with lovely mismatched buttons with sentimental value - but my sister ended up with my grandma's button box so I am buttonless.

BigJyc Wed 11-Feb-09 23:22:53

Hi,

It's really easy to make button jewellery. It all depends on the kind of look you want as all buttons are different.
Find some jewellery wire in a local art/craft shop or on ebay for making necklaces, and they should also sell the clasp, just string the buttons and -hey presto.
I've also used safety pins and you can make a chain with them - get nickel plated so they don't make your neck black.
If your buttons have tiny holes, use a strong thread or fishing wire for thread, and either use a clasp fastener or make a really long chain that can double over your neck.

Hope you have fun making it. Jyc

vInTaGeVioLeT Thu 12-Feb-09 00:34:10

button floozies this is a good blog for button-y inspiration - i contribute to this blog smile

also check out flickr for alsorts of button jewellery i like this one

i hope this gives you some inspiration!

envy jealous of your old button tin!

Marvin Sat 14-Feb-09 09:46:04

thank you so much for the ideas.

I'm going to really enjoy creating something special (at least, having a go!).

meridian Sat 14-Feb-09 12:10:21

you can also sew the buttons onto a thin piece of ribbon then sew on a thicker prettier pice or ribbon to either end to tie behind your neck for a pretty vintagy look. smile

Bensonbluebird Fri 27-Feb-09 14:10:20

I made a necklace years ago out of mother of pearl buttons (all the same size). I sewed them all together in a line (with the thread lying along the back and coming up and then down again through the button holes), slightly overlapping with gold thread. I still wear it quite a lot.

kiwibella Mon 02-Mar-09 21:40:35

I am also very envious of your button stash after giving up an old sack of buttons from my dh's gran when we moved to UK.

I love the look of buttons and ribbon. It's something I have always wanted to try. Hope you find some inspiration Marvin and come back to share your pieces

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now