Talk

Advanced search

decorating baba's new bedroom

(16 Posts)
biglips Wed 06-Apr-05 10:44:53

ideas pls? as she had been in our bedroom since she was born (oct 04) and now im ready to put her in her own bedroom but need ideas

thanks

biglips Wed 06-Apr-05 10:46:06

im thinking of pale soft lilac and pale soft pink but thats it, not sure yet of what type of border to put on or have no border

ambrosia Wed 06-Apr-05 10:49:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wheresmyfroggy Wed 06-Apr-05 10:52:16

Our dd has lovely curtains from next and a fairy theme to her room . She has lovely little fairy lights [great for story time] and a fairy castle shelf from letterbox.

TracyK Wed 06-Apr-05 10:53:58

quite expensive - but beeeutiful - is The White Company childrens ranges.

lockets Wed 06-Apr-05 10:55:54

Message withdrawn

TracyK Wed 06-Apr-05 11:08:06

Its all gorgeous - really different to the usual run of the mill stuff.
Unfortunately I've got a ds - although even the boys stuff is nice.

biglips Wed 06-Apr-05 11:25:40

bump

biglips Wed 06-Apr-05 13:36:49

bumpity bump

biglips Wed 06-Apr-05 17:33:28

biglips Wed 06-Apr-05 23:09:45

hello!! any ideas?

champs Thu 07-Apr-05 23:00:23

hi go for a colour and then add bits instead of borders and themed paper. as she's bound to grow out of themes. ds1 has blue paint and acceseries. He had winnie the pooh stick arounds, bin, lamp and bed cover. Now there gone and he keeps changing things.
stick arounds are really good. you can get a lovely bed linen, and curtains and maybe some frames with pictures.

was you thinking of doing crafting stuff?

merrygoround Thu 07-Apr-05 23:14:22

Biglips, you mentioned two colours you have in mind. Any particular reason? Does it tone in with existing decor elsewhere in the house? What is your personality and that of your dd? I would suggest that you go shopping (always a great idea!) - just to get ideas. I was in IKEA today and they have some bedrooms "set up" as it were - just one or two things may be enough to start you off. If you stick with your colour scheme you will obviously need bedding (even if sleeping bag) and curtains to match. Personally I don't like borders very much, so I bought one of the stick on kind with cute dogs on it and cut out every single dog (!) and then stuck them over just one wall. I think one wall is enough to have as a "feature" (sorry, sound like Linda Barker). You will want a chair for stories - do you have one already you can relocate? What about a changing area? Then cupboards for storage - I made (but you could buy) two peg rails from which I hang dd's skirts and dresses, as they look decorative in their own right.

Sorry, I'm not sure what kind of ideas you want, so not sure if this is helpful. I always start with function first, and then once I've worked out what are the must haves in a room I then search for fabrics that make it look fun, and other accessories like interesting lights (IKEA do fabulous moons and stars and flowers which are lights). I also pay a lot of attention to mood - I want dd's room to be bright and cheerful by day, with room for books and soft toys and tapes/CDs - but restful at night (achieved by having different lighting sources). There are some books around with ideas - or sneak a look in some of the magazines next time you're in the supermarket.

Just don't spend a fortune on things as your dd will soon have VERY strong ideas of what she wants.

helsy Thu 07-Apr-05 23:34:59

The Humphrey stuff is nice with lilac and cream - they do stickarounds and I think Mothercare had borders in at one point, but it would probably look quite babyish after a couple of years.
We're living a in a pink nightmare with dd1 - in fact, she once stood by a wall in her bedroom in a pink top and I couldn't see her. Dd2 is not having pink unless she chooses it herself.
We've always gone for paint (sometimes two colours) with borders or stickarounds - a friend blew up a picture of a fairy castle on ohp onto her daughter's bedroom wall and painted it. It looked fab but depends if you can be bothered, really.

biglips Thu 07-Apr-05 23:42:18

well ive gone for soft pastel pink (as she is a girl) and soft pastel lilac to break up the pink (as im not fussy on all pink for now) so ive been looking on the internet to give me ideas and ill whip out my sewing machine to make the bedding set, curtains, etc in cream and pink or lilac (got denim blue carpet) so ive got the idea in my head and have a look at the material warehouse at the weekends.

thanks everyone

champs Thu 07-Apr-05 23:49:49

sounds lovely! my room is pink (poor dh) Acceseries will help breal up pink too as it can be a bit overkill

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: