Talk

Advanced search

Sewing machine - fix the Bernina or buy something shiny and new?

(6 Posts)
SilverSixpence Wed 21-Jan-09 12:02:25

I have an ancient Bernina minimatic which i bought for £100 18 months ago. Its been a bit dodgy recently so sent it for servicing, and they have come back to me saying it will cost £165 to repair! apparently the shop that sold it to me (claiming it had had a full service angry) had taken out the motor condenser, whatever that is and it also needs other parts replacing.

its a v good, but basic machine, and i'm not sure it will be worth spending that much on it. i could get a good new machine with that money surely? any recommendations? or do you think i should just pay out and use the bernina for another few years?

DutchOma Wed 21-Jan-09 12:15:35

Has the shop gone out of business? Otherwise you surely would be able to get your money back under the Trade Descriptions Act.

ontheup Wed 21-Jan-09 13:03:08

I have a Bernina and love it so will pay for repairs etc but if yours is a basic machine and you haven't got attached to it I'd put the cash towards a new one - my other machine is a little Janome Jem Gold - it was just under £100 a couple of years ago and is brilliant for basic stiches.

TheButterflyEffect Wed 21-Jan-09 13:09:19

Message withdrawn

SilverSixpence Wed 21-Jan-09 22:31:53

thanks, I've emailed the shop. The problem is, I bought it on Ebay, so not sure if I would have the same rights. They do have 8000+ good ratings on there, so was surprised when I found out that the part was missing. It had some other niggling problems too, but could live with those, just thought it needed a service, but this is silly.

TheButterflyEffect, which sewing machine have you got? I don't want/need hundreds of stitches but would love needle up/down, automatic threading and some of the other newer features.

TheBurnsifiedEffect Wed 21-Jan-09 23:05:44

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now