Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What do I need to make shaker cards? Any tips?

(30 Posts)
pootlepod Sun 03-Apr-05 22:14:41

I have the sticky foam bits, aperture cards and 'bits'. Where can I get acetate from? Do I need to use 1 bit of acetate or 2? I have seen a few cards where you can make the shaker window too, a bit like a topper.

Dior Sun 03-Apr-05 22:24:30

Message withdrawn

champs Mon 04-Apr-05 15:20:22

hiya i got a bumper pack of acetate from somewhere, cant remember now!! I will look at invoices and let you know.

you need one bit of acetate that goes at back of acetate stick it onto card with glue or double sided tape, put foam tape/ squares onto back of acetate, add sprinkles/stuff onto acetate, remove backing of foam, close aperture.

you can do shakers without apertures by making a frame.

AuntyQuated Wed 06-Apr-05 15:59:35

don't know how to do the frame bit but did see a demo once where she put the confettie stuff in with clear cheap hair gel!!!
i would make a big mess!

champs Wed 06-Apr-05 16:04:44

hair gel? hmmmm sounds interesting would look a bit like a snow globe

pootlepod Fri 08-Apr-05 08:36:09

The hair gel thing, presume it's to make the stuff inside shake more slowly?

Do you have to fill the whole cavity with hair gel, or leave some space? I'm intrigued now but would also make a huge mess, might investigate superdrug today though and get some!

jayzmummy Fri 08-Apr-05 11:05:04

I tried it last night.....half filled my acetate pocket with cheap and nasty hair gel...didnt make too much mess....then added blue glitter and silver snowflakes I had left over from last christmas....looked very effective...one for the christmas collection.

pootlepod Fri 08-Apr-05 14:52:30

When you say you used an acetate pocket, is that one you bought or made. Presumably you couldn't use just one side of acetate as the gel would make the card wet?

If it does work well, well then that's Christmas sorted!

jayzmummy Fri 08-Apr-05 15:45:06

I just taped two squares of acetate together and filled it with a couple of table spoons of gel...then folded top over and stuck it down....its very squishy and the glitter looks fab....definately be doing lots of these for christmas......very effective.

AuntyQuated Fri 08-Apr-05 16:03:33

have tried it with blue gel (it's all i had) it looks really goos...dead chuffed

jayzmummy Fri 08-Apr-05 16:07:43

I used the blue gel....but have seen some red and green gel which would look very good for christmas.....argh christmas cards talk already and we havent had the summer yet!!!!!

AuntyQuated Fri 08-Apr-05 16:12:46

also put a peel-off in

pootlepod Fri 08-Apr-05 19:22:39

Sorry to keep asking questions. But I'm really excited by this and forgot to buy gel today!

How would you attach the acetate pocket to a card, would you need one with an aperture?

AuntyQuated Fri 08-Apr-05 20:55:14

i haven't done that so far, but i thought that i woild cut out a frame to hide the foam tape then mount it onto a card as you would a topper.
i thought about an aperture card but thought it may be rather bulky with it behind.
i am concerned that mine is going to leak as the seals aren't perfect...bearing in mind that it has to be there for more than 8 months as it is a christams one.

Hausfrau Fri 08-Apr-05 20:59:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AuntyQuated Fri 08-Apr-05 21:03:26

can do, hf, hang on a sec

AuntyQuated Fri 08-Apr-05 21:09:31

it will be easier for me to send them as an attachment rather than upload them somehere so could you email me please HF? - auntyquated@yahoo.co.uk

pootlepod Fri 08-Apr-05 21:15:04

Can I e-mail you too AQ? [cheeky emoticon}

AuntyQuated Fri 08-Apr-05 21:15:51

yes, it's nit a brill pic and is of the frame in its raw state but if it helps you, good

Hausfrau Fri 08-Apr-05 21:36:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AuntyQuated Fri 08-Apr-05 22:14:52

i'll put it somewhere for you to see

AuntyQuated Sat 09-Apr-05 07:34:41

here are 4 very bad pics of my VERY rough shaker fame

you will need to sign in
ID mumsnetter
password netters

basically i stuck double-sided 3D foam in a square on the acetate, stuck a peel-off in the centre, added about 1 teaspoon of blue hair gel, sprinkled in some confetti stars, carefully spraed it over acetate, removed back ing from the double-sided and stuck a piece of acetate over the top.

that is as far as i ahve got; but watch this space.

jayzmummy Sat 09-Apr-05 09:25:50

AQ.....the techniques album is a good idea.....I now have the instructions to make the skate boards.....have made a couple myself and they are sooooooo easy to make....but look brilliant. I will make another one later on today and take piccies at each stage.....this will be so easy to show you how to make the skate boards!!!!

Bear with me I am sooooo excited about them....hubby thinks I am barking mad.....how many women get excited about a piece of A4 paper??? Men....they just dont understand!!!!!

AuntyQuated Sat 09-Apr-05 10:37:51

ooo i am excited about it now too

Dingle Sat 09-Apr-05 11:47:26

[excited emoticon] Me too!

Desperately need ideas for boys cards, ds keeps on coning home with party invites!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now