Talk

Advanced search

Crocheting a baby shawl - HELP!

(8 Posts)
wangle99 Sat 02-Apr-05 12:28:03

Hi ladies

I am attempting to crochet something properly - can do all the stitches and it is a fairly easy pattern anyway.

My question is - it is a round shawl and I am on the 5th 'round'. There appears to be more material now (not sure to describe this!) and it won't lie completely flat - it's almost as if it has pleats! Will this even out as it grows? The picture on the pattern it does seem to lie flat.

Thank you anyone!

Sarah x

Amanda3266 Sat 02-Apr-05 14:27:29

Not too sure about this as I'm not a brilliant person with a crochet hook - can just about do simple stitches. However, having done a couple of baby shawls I seem to recall that it was like this with mine but was much less noticable when I'd finished.

alux Sat 02-Apr-05 15:10:31

If it has 'pleats' it may be that you are putting in additional stitches somewhere or the tension is too loose.

wangle99 Sat 02-Apr-05 17:03:55

Mmm definately not adding stitches (apart from where I'm meant to!) Could well be a tension issue. I will take a photo later and perhaps you would be kind enough to have a look for me and give your opinion.

Thanks

Sarah

alux Sat 02-Apr-05 18:46:34

Sure, I'll have a look but can't promise anything. I remember that when I was just starting out it would do that too. One other problem was that I did not know how to properly do the final stitch in the round. That also made it pleat. Mark off the final stitch with a bit of coloured thread to have a look at it.

wangle99 Sat 02-Apr-05 19:57:23

Right, I have got a picture, you can see it here....

www.bosleake.com/crochet.jpg (apologies I could not get the clickable link right)

Any insight greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Sarah

wangle99 Sat 02-Apr-05 21:44:15

Erm I was reading the pattern wrong. Doh!

Thanks for your help anyway.

Sarah

alux Sun 03-Apr-05 04:14:20

It happens! I've done that too!

Still having a look to see what you are making.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now