Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Finished my First Patchwork Quilt - hurrah!!!!!!

(18 Posts)
motherpeculiar Wed 30-Mar-05 12:33:16

...only 21 years after I started it too

I don't care - I am dead chuffed and it is adorning DDs bed as I write (see, if I'd finished it any earlier I wouldn't have had her bed to adorn, would I?!)

now, onto the next one for new baby, EDD tomorrow, better not psych myself up to finish the quilt beforehand eh?!

didn't expect the actual quilting bit to be so much fun....

BethAndHerBrood Wed 30-Mar-05 12:55:05

21 years later.... LOL!!!!!

I bet it's lovely though, do you feel proud??

motherpeculiar Wed 30-Mar-05 13:00:42

I know - isn't it ridiculous! Obviously I wasn't actually working on it all that time - it was sitting in a bag somewhere, and was then pretty much unpicked and put back together differently, but still....

You wouldn't believe how proud I am

I've always been crap at sewing too!!!

thanks for indulging me Beth

champs Wed 30-Mar-05 14:16:57

well done
lol 21 years!!
must be lovely to see it on dd bed. sure she'll love it for 21 more years... if not more. you never know, it may go with her to uni

Keane Wed 30-Mar-05 14:26:04

excellent I love patchworking

motherpeculiar Wed 30-Mar-05 14:27:22

she better love it for absolutely ever after all that!!!!!

she does love to curl up in it already and it makes my heart sing

I swear I'll steal it back if she doesn't demonstrate enough appreciation as time goes on (daily mentions of how beautiful it is, what a wonderful mother I am etc etc etc)

champs Wed 30-Mar-05 14:30:14

my nan used to make these when i was young and i loved them. have been thinking of getting into this have had a book for years.

motherpeculiar Wed 30-Mar-05 17:17:09

oh DO IT champs

they are so beautiful, and a lot of fun to do (oh yes, can't you tell I'm feeling quite the pro here, after my pathetic experience )

I am really excited about doing another, and determined it won't take so long this time around - but I'm not putting any money on that just yet....

motherpeculiar Thu 31-Mar-05 17:49:51

just calculated again and it's not 21 years since I started, ONLY 15. So I'm feeling all smug and self-satisfied now

champs Thu 31-Mar-05 17:53:41

alux Thu 31-Mar-05 17:56:55

ooohhh lurvely.

I have dreams of making one soon. In fact, currently collecting material for the project now I am on M/L. I think I downloaded some simple patterns off the net a couple months ago. Off to search my files to see if I only dreamt of doing it or really did it.

mummytosteven Thu 31-Mar-05 17:57:57

oooh well done! given that you're v pregnant I'll forgive you for not having a photo of the finished product on the web for us all to look at

aism Thu 31-Mar-05 22:31:12

Well done you! THe quilting bit is addictive.

I've done two baby quilts - but have yet to make one for my own darling son!!

I've another one partly done, and about 3 more planned in my head. Plus enough material to make about 10! It's addictive, but so much fun, and very rewarding - especially when you see them used.

WEll done.

ais.

moondog Thu 31-Mar-05 22:35:03

Good for you!
It's a great feeling isn't it?
Whaddya mean about the quilting? I love that part.
Just tucked ds under the one I made lovingly when pg the first time 5 years ago.
I've got about three waiting to be qwuilted. Won't hold my breath though-barely time to wipe my a* these days, and MN eats into what little free time I have.
Know just what you mean about wanting recipients of quilts to be grateful at all times lol!!

moondog Thu 31-Mar-05 22:35:41

'qwuilted'!!
Does that make me look thick or wot??!

motherpeculiar Fri 01-Apr-05 13:10:20

thanks guys

the one I just finished was a single bedder so that was tough

I cut fabric for new baby's quilt yesterday but can't unleash sewing machine as DD (2.7 and into EVERYTHING) is here with me now, I'm itching to get going

also ordered fabric for another and am trying to hold back from ordering the fabric for just one more...

my worry is that I'll get addicted to making baby quilts, as you get that wonderful sense of completion that bit quicker, but what the hell do you do with a zillion baby quilts??? (and before anyone suggests it - no, I'm NOT prepared to have a zillion babies just to indulge this little hobby of mine )

Alux - get going girl, it's GREAT fun

champs Fri 01-Apr-05 14:26:04

lol, you could always sell them. a unique baby blanket would sell well.

alux Fri 01-Apr-05 16:12:47

Making personalised ones to sell is an excellent idea.

In the US people make and donate them to premature baby units and women's shelters.

Of course, they will make unique prezzies for anyone close to you who's pg.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now